• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did you get your FHD 10?

Dex

Android Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2010
Tennessee
www.facebook.com
I have been wanting to get my hands on a 10 inch tablet since I had such a mediocre experience with the size and performance of the Nexus 7 about a year ago. I surveyed the landscape and decided on 4 (kind of) choices.

1. Nexus 10
2. Galaxy Note 10.1
3. Asus TF-series
4. MeMO Pad FHD 10

The Nexus 10 has a great resolution and pretty good specs. The price, even for a used device, was too much for me. Without expandable memory, I would need a 32GB device and those were normally going for around $350. I understand the value of the tablet, though. Nexus devices are generally very good and the development is always awesome.

The Galaxy Note 10.1 has kind of a miserable resolution. Along with the performance drain that comes with Touchwiz I wasn't sure I would thoroughly enjoy the experience. Finding a Note 10.1 with the S-Pen is hard enough, and then you're still paying a premium for last year's tech. The 16GB versions normally started around $250, but again for a solid device with the S-Pen you are adding 30-50 more dollars. At least with the Note 10.1 I had the option to add an SD card and didn't have to focus on getting a 32GB version.

The TF tablets were... ehhhh, meh. The bad experience with the Tegra 3 in my Nexus 7 was still on my mind and the meh resolution on everything other than the TF700 was not a selling point. The keyboard is cool, but I am not sure it could make up for the performance and resolution. The TF201 turns two this December, I wasn't sure that I wanted to go that far backward in tech.

I am still a little worried about this tablet. The Intel CPU is unproven and isn't going to work with everything on Android. Development on the tablet will probably be smashed by this, too. This is going to be a niche device. I probably won't get an AOKP and CM version and I will miss that very much. However, it may be a very interesting experience to see just what happens with this new CPU. If nothing else, if I hate it I can find someone to sell it to and offset the cost a bit for buying something else.

I have a Hisense Sero 7 Pro (basically the same as the 2012 Nexus 7 hardware-wise but has mini-HDMI, mSD card slot & dual cameras) but as I'm 60 7" is harder on my eyes. Plus the Sero has developed a line across the display and getting Hisense to move quickly on RMA'ing it is like pulling teeth).

The specs and info I could find online make this FHD 10, for what I want a tablet for (web, email, e-reading, ooVoo w/grandkids), a good deal for the money ($329 for the 32Gb thru Amazon).

My wife has an iPad2 I got her for Xmas 2 years ago, but I didn't want to spend $500-$600 for something for me as a tablet is a secondary device for me.

And with Amazon's great return policy, if I don't love it, it's no problem returning it.

Sam

Upvote 0
Have a nexus 7 2012 and love it still. Got this big bad boy and havent touched the 7. The value, performance, build quality, great screen and this thing is thin and light ...... great upgrde for my light gaming and net needs. Plus all the extras...hdmi out, ext sd to many good things to pass up for $272 out the door at office depot for 16gb.:D

Upvote 0
I've been looking at getting a galaxy tab 10.1 (version 2 or 3), but on black Friday, amazon had the fhd 10, on sale for $249. Cheaper and higher def? Had to give it a try. Love it so far. Got a good case and 32gb card for it on sale, too.

I did the exact same thing! 32 GB micro SD for $16. I'm in this for total of less than $300 for a case,tablet and extra memory! The galaxy tab series is a total let down. This tab is great!

Upvote 0
Why? Why not you might ask! Saw this at my local Wal-Mart the other day on a special sale, 16 Gig Blue ASUS Memo Pad FHD 10 AND a Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2 Universal Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for the princely sum of $249.95! :D And I managed to get the last one.

Love the tablet, except when Jelly Bean 4.3 got pushed on me, the one thing I liked most of all, the Mail Notification widget disappeared from the widget list. Bummer. The case works fine though.

For a whim purchase it's turned out to be a pretty decent tablet for a budget class model. ;)

Upvote 0
Good deal! Add the micro HDMI I'm in it $315 still a great buy and HDMI out is a must for all future tab purchases. I use it all the time. Way more reliable then my chrome cast that only plays what it feels like. :)

Yes! A great buy! The price is really good. I got it off amazon. Its a really underrated tablet. For its performance and features(micro SD card, micro HDMI etc) Its an amazing deal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones