• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do you use Handcent and not ChompSMS?

I've had problems with Handcent keeping my phone awake. I would consider that a con to be added to this list.

And, there is an unread count in Chomp. Go into Chomp, Menu>Settings>Notifications>Notification Icon Count. That will display the number of unread messages you have.

I will gladly pay (and did) the three dollars for getting rid of the Chomp ads. It's giving the developer reason to keep making the app better, if he keeps making it better he keeps getting more money.

I just had problems with Handcent. I liked the trackball lighting up, but that's really the only thing I miss from Handcent. I never used the pop up feature, and it turned my screen on if my phone was asleep, which I use with Chomp anyways. Besides, there are ads in Handcent in the menus. Maybe that was why the battery drained and the phone stayed awake? Some glitch with the ads in the menus updating or something?
for these same reasons i use chomp. i installed handcent when i first got my phone (in january) and it never worked correctly. i used chomp and it was great. when the developer added ads to it, i simply payed the $3 and it was done.

Upvote 0
Chomp lacks a few things that I have come to need (and I found in Handcent)
1-popup notification/quick reply window thing
2-trackball light up (to differentiate from emails, etc.)

3-MOST important: there is no setting that i could find, to make ONLY mobile numbers appear. handcent offers the ability to allow only mobile numbers to appear for contacts within the app. this makes a small, but significant ease/speed difference for me

I still think Chomp is great, just lacking these 3 things i like from Hc

Upvote 0
1-popup notification/quick reply window thing
2-trackball light up (to differentiate from emails, etc.)

3-MOST important: there is no setting that i could find, to make ONLY mobile numbers appear. handcent offers the ability to allow only mobile numbers to appear for contacts within the app. this makes a small, but significant ease/speed difference for me

I still think Chomp is great, just lacking these 3 things i like from Hc

I have used Chomps since Nov. after originally trying Handcent. I liked the look of it more and haven't seen a reason to go back.

I think that the only main difference between the two is the trackball notification thing and I turn that off anyway because it irritates me (and maybe it is the reason for more battery drain with handcent). If I am not mistaken, I believe that Hancent also has a voice to text option that Chomps doesn't but that has been made null since 2.1 and the ability to use Vlingo. Chomps and Hancent are both customizable with the ability to change colors and bubbles and backgrounds, etc.

Also....Chomps does have a pop up notification/quick reply window (it also has a widget). And you can set it to show only mobile numbers.

So it basically comes down to preferences...one may be slightly better than the other but its hard to put a number on which one that is.

Upvote 0

THIS!

Chomp was impossible to sort thru all my contacts, and there was no way to tell between mobile and landlines. The ads suck, I'm not paying money for an SMS app when Handcent does everything I need and allows me to customize the way I like. The popup windows is miles ahead of Chomp.

If I hadn't used Handcent first, and found Chomp instead, I'd probably think it was pretty good. As it was, there was a time when Handcent wasn't updated to 2.x yet and I had to install Chomp for a couple of weeks until they released the new version. As soon as it was released I went right back to Handcent and haven't looked back. Now the stock Messaging App? Gah what a POS. That's what made me look for a replacement in the first place!

For those having picture resizing issues - change your max picture size to 1 MB. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
I say Handcent. I'm with everyone who says why pay for an app when all it does is remove a stupid ad bar. As for the resizing problem I never had to change the size of my pictures I take, handcent resizes them for me no problem. Now, of course when it's a larger pic it takes a bit longer to resize but that's okay, no problems. Chomps just isn't as good

Upvote 0
guys here is a thought why dont we just use the stock sms app and then we wouldnt have this lame fight over which app is better. lol but yes i find myself using handcent its just easier coming from an Iphone to use that. it reminds me of where my love of smart phones started..and my hate for networks lol =]

Can't save MMS in the stock app can you? I would if I could figure that one out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones