Why does Launcher Pro Plus need my physical address?

Last Updated:

1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I try to purchase Launcher Pro Plus, the resulting paypal screen refuses to let me pay without providing my address.

Why do I have to provide my physical address for downloadable content?

I think I will just have to not support the developer in this instance.

Advertisement
  2. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member

The dev is the best and most responsive I've ever dealt with. I've never seen a negative comment about his business practices, much less received spam from him (electronic or otherwise). While I can sort of understand a reluctance to provide info that isn't 100% necessary, it's your address, which you've undoubtedly provided to dozens of online retailers over the years. It's your privacy and your right to protect it, but this sounds like excessive paranoia to me (and I get eye rolls from my SO all the time about how careful I am about protecting our info).

BTW, have you emailed the dev and asked why he wants it? This would be the best way to get your answer.

3. thekarens

thekarens Well-Known Member

I've never met an online retailer who uses paypal as a payment method that doesn't require your physical address. I'm pretty sure to be a "verified" user of paypal you have to have your address in there. Your address isn't really private information like we'd like to think. If someone wants the information it's very easy to get through public records.

Looking at the feedback this developer has I wouldn't hesitate to give him my address.

4. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Yea, that's a Paypal requirement. I've never paid for anything with Paypal that I didn't have to give my physical address.

IOWA likes this.
  5. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member

Glad someone else was up on the paypal requirements - I was thinking that was the case, but also knew I regularly paid for things and didn't have to input my address - duh, because I'm verified and the info's already in the system. Mystery solved.

6. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Its a safety issue through Paypal that protects the seller (in this case, LP Pro). It is so that you have a "Confirmed"(Or it might be "Verified," I forget the exact title) account in case you decide to pull something shady on the seller.

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I eBay alot and this IS a paypal requirement. (The payee can select if he wants verification or not)

8. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Yup it's PayPal and not LauncherPro. Don't blame LauncherPro!!!!

9. ZDroid1

I guess I just don't want to send my credit card number with my physical address to some guy in some country. Thanks everyone for the info.

P.S. I also don't give my gmail password to third party apps or my bank password. Paranoid I guess.

10. ZDroid1

Alright, I just found out (from paypal) that neither my credit card number nor my address is shared with the seller. They simply deposit money into his account and withdraw money from mine. I feel better about it now. Going to purchase it now.