• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why I would consider buying an iPad...

I know several people who bought "douche" pads. Almost to a one, the dpad is now relegated to a kids toy. Here's how it works...

1- Bought it as an ereader, but it weighs too much to hold and carry around
2- Bought it as a great web browser/email device but the on screen keyboard isn't really very good for that, so I went back to using a laptop/netbook with a real keyboard.
3- It's a great device to watch tv while I'm watching tv. Why did I want to watch tv while watching tv in the first place? And why do I want to pay for content again to do this?
4- Bought it to replace my laptop/netbook...FAIL!
Finally
5- It plays great games, thus it's now in the possession of my kids.

They all carry it around for a short while till they realize they still need to carry a notebook to get work done, then it gets left at home. It does make for a really great ~$400+ picture viewer!

Maybe future generations will look at the dpad like we look at the pet rock craze? With total bemusement? Why exactly did so many people pay so much for something they didn't need? They felt pressured to buy one because all the cool kids had one?

Personally, I can see the use for a pad type device, but only when it's small enough to be easily portable and cheap, like $200 or less. Then it fits between the smartphone and full blown computer. I need it to be pretty usable and the dpad is heavy on the pretty and really light on the usable

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones