• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why is it good to have apps on an SD card rather than the phone itself? (or vice versa)

Is it better to have all of my apps on my phone or on my SD card?
Also how can I transfer all of my music to my SD card?

I don't really see a difference when apps are on the phone memory or on the sd card.

To transfer music onto the sd card, have the sd card in your phone, plug a usb in your phone to the computer. I created a folder called Media in the external_sd folder and dragged my music into Media.

Upvote 0
Some apps will not function properly on the card, but they usually will earn you if that.

If an app has the "Move to SD card" button enabled in the Manage Applications settings, it is because the developer has specified that it will work if moved. It is mainly with 3rd-party "app managers" that you run into problems if they forcibly move an app that shouldn't be moved.

Upvote 0
Is it better to have all of my apps on my phone or on my SD card?
Also how can I transfer all of my music to my SD card?

iLLMATICxKING, There is not much difference from putting apps on SD Card or Internal Memory, providing if your SD Card is fast. There is no difference when using Class 10 SD Card but you can notice the slowness if using Class 4.

Another thing I'm experiencing is the internal memory is considerable more reliable. My SD Card has data lost once in a while, more often than I hope. If you have apps installed on an no so reliable SD Card like mine, you will keep getting some grey out app icons on your phone, which means the apps is actually lost.

The only way to clean it is install the app again (cause you to have the greyed out icon, and a new proper icon) Uninstall the app (removes both greyed out and proper icon), then install it again (finally having only the proper icon remaining on the phone)

If you have a reliable Class 10 SD Card, there is no difference at all.

p.s. Don't buy the Samsung Class 10 32GB Micro SD. That's what I'm using.

Upvote 0
iLLMATICxKING, There is not much difference from putting apps on SD Card or Internal Memory, providing if your SD Card is fast. There is no difference when using Class 10 SD Card but you can notice the slowness if using Class 4.

Another thing I'm experiencing is the internal memory is considerable more reliable. My SD Card has data lost once in a while, more often than I hope. If you have apps installed on an no so reliable SD Card like mine, you will keep getting some grey out app icons on your phone, which means the apps is actually lost.

The only way to clean it is install the app again (cause you to have the greyed out icon, and a new proper icon) Uninstall the app (removes both greyed out and proper icon), then install it again (finally having only the proper icon remaining on the phone)

If you have a reliable Class 10 SD Card, there is no difference at all.

p.s. Don't buy the Samsung Class 10 32GB Micro SD. That's what I'm using.

I have the same problem from time to time with a class 4 San Disk. I've found that usually, I can just "install" it again from the market and it fixes it right up.

Though the other day for some reason, there were about 15 grayed out icons, so I unmounted and then "re" mounted my SD card and that solved the problem just fine.

And I agree, while I haven't had the problem of the SD card becoming corrupted (knock on wood), the greyed out icon issue does crop up more than I would like for it to.

I also make sure to back up the SD card to my computer at least once a month just in case the SD card decides to go bye bye.

I have a class 6 San Disk Ultra Mobile card on the way. We'll see how it does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones