• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is music such a pain in the *** on my Android?

ReDDs3D

Apr 18, 2012
This is my second android phone (HTC t328w) and this is about the time where I've started to use my phone as my main portable music player as well since my iPod was lost a few weeks ago. I bought a 32gb micro sd and loaded it with high quality mp3's and raw flac files. But for the life of me this phone will not allow that request to happen.

I have tried countless music apps, poweramp, ttpod, doubletwist, winamp, neutron, PlayerPro, ubermusic and each one of them has an off putting quality for each good feature.

Poweramp will not scan all my music, some songs in albums are just missing. Ttpod will let me browse by artist but there is no option for album, just shuffles all of the artists songs. Winamp doesn't have an equilizer and won't recognize changes made to my music folder (if I delete music or add). Player pro just takes up way to much memory and slows my phone down. Neutron freezes more than winmo 6.5. Ubermusic does not know what song order means and makes albums requiring sequential gapless playback impossible to experience. Doubletwist won't even recognize a single song in my entire 32gb micro sd.

What gives? Why can't I have that awesome music experience people talk about. Why can't I listen to the full OK computer album without having paranoid android just missing from the library. Why can't I listen to the full meddle album without having a force close in echoes????

The problem may be that the Android library doesn't play nice with all of your FLACs (and perhaps with the metadata on some of your FLACs). I have long had trouble playing some of my WMAs (depending on the encoder) and getting the metadata read correctly on my WMAs. Since Android plays nice with MP3s I ended up just biting the bullet and trancoding my WMAs to MP3 (at the expense of some audio fidelity). You can do batch transcoding with free software like FreAC or trialware like dbPowerAmp.

I primarily use WinAmp. Contrary to your complaints about WinAmp, there is an equalizer in the paid version. And on my Gingerbread-based LG Optimus S, WinAmp instantly notices any songs that I add or delete from my library (via USB). If you load WinAmp onto your PC, you can also easily transfer songs & playlsts from your PC to your phone via WiFi.

You might also want to give Google Play Music a try. It's pretty good. And you can upload all of your music (from your PC) to Google's cloud and have it always available through streaming. You can also make songs, albums, or playlists available offline. I was going to get a 32GB card for my phone so that I could store music on it, but I no longer need to, thanks to Google Play Music.

Upvote 0
The problem may be that the Android library doesn't play nice with all of your FLACs (and perhaps with the metadata on some of your FLACs). I have long had trouble playing some of my WMAs (depending on the encoder) and getting the metadata read correctly on my WMAs. Since Android plays nice with MP3s I ended up just biting the bullet and trancoding my WMAs to MP3 (at the expense of some audio fidelity). You can do batch transcoding with free software like FreAC or trialware like dbPowerAmp.

I primarily use WinAmp. Contrary to your complaints about WinAmp, there is an equalizer in the paid version. And on my Gingerbread-based LG Optimus S, WinAmp instantly notices any songs that I add or delete from my library (via USB). If you load WinAmp onto your PC, you can also easily transfer songs & playlsts from your PC to your phone via WiFi.

You might also want to give Google Play Music a try. It's pretty good. And you can upload all of your music (from your PC) to Google's cloud and have it always available through streaming. You can also make songs, albums, or playlists available offline. I was going to get a 32GB card for my phone so that I could store music on it, but I no longer need to, thanks to Google Play Music.

thanks for the reply. I did try google music. Again, its pretty laggy for me, scrolling is...crunchy for the lack of a better word, and it does somewhat slow down my phone as a whole. Also, I do not have unlimited data so I am not sure if I can make use of the streaming capabilities with 250mb a month...

I recently downloaded REAL player and its actually not half bad. Recognized all my music and flac, smooth and responsive and doesn't take a toll on my RAM. I'll keep using it and see how it goes....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones