• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps why is there a link to msn:// intent

I have verified this with some of my other friends with HTC legend, and some with nexus1, and myself on VIllianROM and SuperHero ROM, so afaik its a property of vanilla contacts, .... if you have a contact with an msn/hotmail or yahoo email, there is, along with a email link in the contacts page, a 'chat' link. For example my buddy has @hotmail.com address and i saw a link named 'chat using windows live' right under 'email <name>'.

why is that there? so far my searches have yielded that some tmo phones (g1?) came with a IM app preinstalled that used to be able to take the intent thrown out by clicking that (i verified using logcat, it does indeed throw out an intent that looks the same as when u click the 'talk using google talk' link except its msn:// and not gtalk:// .However so far i have not had any luck flash updating with that app, nor installng any other IM app, none actually look for the intent and act on it, logcat simply reports "unknown action for intent" or something similar.

Hmm looks like this app here T-Mobile IM apk.... - xda-developers (the Tmobile IM app included with original G1 may have something to do with it, i installed it and the link works now, even has it pop up in the bubble thing...) :)

HOwever i would still like to know how come it was included as a standard feature if basically after the G1 none of the phones have gotten this app afaik....

ETA: ok it seems that app is a. no longer in development/discontinued and b. only works with tmobile due to some funky im to text thing they got going on. it also seems that meebo IM has stepped up and taken over all IM intents being sent including MSN AIM Yahoo etc, so for those who care install meebo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones