• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-Fi is 1 for 2

I have two wi-fi routers in my home (long story) but only one is connected to the internet at a time. Not that it should matter, but one is an 802.11-b and one is an 802.11-g.

Although they have different SSIDs, otherwise they are both programmed the same, with WPA2 security and a list of MAC addresses to be allowed to connect. I've programmed my phone and laptop to recognize either network.

My Droid 2 Global connects to one of them, the -b router, with no problem.

I tap the wi-fi toggle icon and within a minute or so the 3G indicator goes off to be replaced by the wi-fi indicator. But if I switch to the -g router it doesn't connect unless I tell the phone to forget the network and re-enter the authentication data (SSID, password, etc.) again.

If I look at Settings/Wi-Fi/ I see it try to connect, I see it find the router's name, and then it says "disconnected." My wireless laptop doesn't have this problem. It connects to the network just fine. I've tried only connecting a single device, it doesn't matter. The laptop will connect, the phone won't and only to the -g router.

I'm stumped.

I have cable modem service from my ISP. Their modem is connected to the "internet" port of the router. When I wish to switch from one router to the other, I unplug the Cat5 patch cable from one router and plug in the other. (At the same time I also transfer the power cord to the other router too--only one is powered up at a time.)

And, just to keep things consistent, the routers spoof the same IP address so the cable modem isn't getting confused by this. Not that this should be the problem as the phone doesn't seem to be able to establish connection to the router at all.

Upvote 0
Actually, I am using the dd-wrt firmware on the -g router. I like their comprehensive menus.

As to why I do it, it's to maintain compatibility with some older equipment I use that doesn't have the same password capabilities as my newer equipment. Although I usually use the -g router, once in a while, I need to connect something that uses the original encryption that was available on the old linksys -b router. Sadly, this is the one my phone connects to with no problems.

When I switch to the -g router (dd-wrt firmware, WPA2 encryption) that's when I have the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones