Wi-fi reception improved!Tips

Last Updated:

1. Dentist76

Dentist76 Member

My friends, I made a research and found out that the antenna for the A500 Iconia has to be "ipex u.fl antenna" and I looked at ebay for something like that.
    I bought this eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices For just USD 3,32 now my wi-fi reception is way better!! And the price was including free international shipping ! I didn't remove the old antenna and good thing is I didn't do any soldering; just plugged in the the new antenna.
    Now I'm much more happy with my A500 :)

learningDroid and starry5 like this.
  2. chismay

chismay Well-Known Member

could you maybe write us a guide with a video or photo's ? think it would be greatly appreciated and probably stickied to the top if you do :D
  3. pagdodd

pagdodd Well-Known Member

hmm, i would be very interested in this.

I am having problems trying to use Onlive but the signal drops out too often :-/
  4. Dentist76

Dentist76 Member

Mine was the same. But I got much better connection. And the installation was really easy. I watched the video on youtube about how to dissamble tablet and the rest was very easy.
  5. harshkey

harshkey New Member

hey Dentist76,

Which connector did you use for connecting ipex u.fl antenna?. I cannot find any empty connectors to connect it to...please let me know asap. Thank you.
  6. Dentist76

Dentist76 Member

connect it to the place where the default antenna is connected. unplug the old one and connect the new antenna.
  7. harshkey

harshkey New Member

Thanks for the reply..once i opened the back cover, there are a couple of connectors with different numbers...which one do i connect the antenna to?
  8. Dentist76

Dentist76 Member

Here is the video for disassembling A500 Iconia.
    At video time 01:37 you can see which cable to unplug.

DARKSUN Member

What video!? hmm i cant see it
  10. harshkey

harshkey New Member

No link to the video...Cant see the video either.
  11. Dentist76

Dentist76 Member

12. Dentist76

Dentist76 Member

I hope the video helped.
  13. emagin

emagin Member

Is this vid for JUST the antenna install?
    It's a massive amount of work.
    Or is there a section we focus on?

How long did it take you roughly to do the install?
  14. kenji57

kenji57 Well-Known Member

CMDRMOORE New Member

Did you plug in the new antenna to a second jack on the wireless card or do you disconnect the antenna that is in the tablet?
    Where do you mount the news antenna, so that the case can be closed?

Thank you
  16. Dentist76

Dentist76 Member

I unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one. I put the antenna to the side where there is no camera.
  17. emagin

emagin Member

@Kenji57 This is most helpful, thank you!
    @Dentist76 Did you do any tests with old vs. new antenna to see what difference in reception you get?
  18. Dentist76

Dentist76 Member

Sure, now the reception is way better.
    Minimum 1 line better than before.
  19. Dentist76

Dentist76 Member

Today I was really sruprised about the strength of my wifi reception!
    This antenna really works cool !