• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi sleep algorithm

JoeSchmoe007

Mar 8, 2011
I keep 3G data off on my phone pretty much all the time (I am on PagePlus (prepaid Verizon reseller) and don't have "unlimited" data)

I keep my Wi-Fi on all the time. At home I have a wi-fi router that is always on and my phone connects to it.

My weather (I use weather widget from HTC) is configured to update every hour. So theoretically it should never be more than an hour old if I have data connection of some kind.

If I leave my phone for the night (at about 11PM, on but not connected to charger) then when I get up in the morning (at about 7AM) my weather is usually 3-4 hours old and Wi-Fi connection is not active. So it dropped some time in the middle of the night.

Does anyone know where this behavior is controlled? Say I want it to never drop Wi-Fi connection assuming it is available.

Not sure what to say - have settings same way and not suffering that problem.

Odd as it may sound - when did you last reset your home router?

Also - maybe consider trying Wifi Analyzer (free, Market) and see if you have neighbor's wifi on same channel that might be confusing your phone. I've solved many a similar problem for friends suffering that very root cause of the trouble.

Upvote 0
Not sure what to say - have settings same way and not suffering that problem.

Odd as it may sound - when did you last reset your home router?

Also - maybe consider trying Wifi Analyzer (free, Market) and see if you have neighbor's wifi on same channel that might be confusing your phone. I've solved many a similar problem for friends suffering that very root cause of the trouble.

It's been a while since I reset my router, but I don't think router is a problem - when I force phone to reconnect in the morning phone connects successfully.

As far as neighbors using the same channel - I checked and everyone around is on channel 6 (default on a lot of routers I guess) and I am on channel 7

Upvote 0
I don't think this is it. This setting is for when to switch from Wi-Fi to mobile data, not for Wi-Fi timeout.

In any case it is (and was) set to Never, so it must be something else.

Actually that setting is to tell tell your wireless module whether to stay awake or go to sleep when the screen turns off or on if that is how you set it. Just like on a PC. WIFI on doesn't mean mobile data is off (unless you turn it off), it means mobile data takes a back seat to WIFI. Send a MMS and you'll see 3G wake up momentarily as MMS can only be sent over 3G.

But you set it to "never" anyways. Maybe it's the weather widget not being consistent with it's updates. Maybe your internet connection goes out in the evening. Mine does as this is the time maintenance upgrades are performed by ISP's

Upvote 0
Do you mean you also have 3G data off all the time?

Not suffering the problem - meaning that in the morning your phone is still connected to Wi-Fi after a long inactivity period?

My WIFi stays connected all the time, like I said, unless my internet is having issues or cuts out. Sometimes it reconnects on it's own and sometimes I have to manually toggle wifi on/off for it to reconnect. This happens with PC's as well. I've never had a 100% perfect always connected device I don't think there is such a thing.

Upvote 0
Do you mean you also have 3G data off all the time?

Not suffering the problem - meaning that in the morning your phone is still connected to Wi-Fi after a long inactivity period?

Yep, my phone is still connected to wifi when its alarm clock wakes me. Overnight, it sits on the headboard, screen off.

All of my overnight mail, news, weather, etc is already updated and ready for review with my morning coffee.

I keep my 3G radio off unless I know I need work email updated while I'm out and about in the world - in other words, it's usually off.

PS - Never reviewed any logs or anything - for all I know, my network goes out in the middle of the night and restores itself - or it never goes out. The end effect for me is the same.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue and was never able to solve it. When I do not have Wi-Fi connected to my router, I get my e-mails and Google Voice messages almost instantaneously. But when connected to Wi-Fi, it's a cr@p shoot. I have Mobile Data to always be on, my Wi-Fi sleep policy set to Never. I am still connected to Wi-Fi when I wake up in the morning, but of course there are usually no new e-mail messages. As soon as I hit refresh or go back to 3G, the messages come in. This has been the case since I got the phone though. Now, I just barely ever connect to Wi-Fi unless I know I will be using the phone to download or surf the web.

Upvote 0
I think I may have an idea. Recently I installed Twitter (app from the market, not whatever is supplied in stock ROM). Just for the heck of it I configured it too sync every 5 min to see if this will affect the battery much (it doesn't). Now every morning my DInc is still connected.

Before the most frequent sync was once an hour (or whatever the shortest period HTC weather can be set to - don't have my phone handy and can't check).

So I think if there is no communication for extended period of time something (phone or the router) drops connection and phone doesn't try or can't restore connection for some reason.

JohnnyT - you can try to do something similar, just configure Twitter (or some other app) to sync with short update period.

Upvote 0
Thanks JoeSchmoe007! I don't have Twitter, but may give it a shot. It's definitely a work-around, but I would really like to figure this one out. I have been reading that others (outside of the DInc) have had this issue. I ran a test last night. I would appreciate others who read this to give it a try.

Before I start, I have the Wi-Fi Sleep Policy set to Never. Here are the steps I followed for my test.
1. Turned on Wi-Fi to DInc and connected to home router.
2. Found out that the IP address assigned to my DInc was, 192. 168.1.4
3. With DInc screen still on, I went on my computer and pinged the DInc's IP. It came back successful.

3a. With Dinc screen off (Wi-Fi still connected), I went to the computer and pinged the DInc's IP. It came back as "Request Timed Out."

3b. With DInc screen back on (Wi-Fi still connected, and simply on lockscreen), went to the computer and pinged DInc's IP again. Successful.

Just for giggles, I set the Wi-Fi Sleep Policy to Never When Plugged In. Plugged charger into phone. Repeated all the steps above, and each time it came back successful, whether the screen was on or off. That policy seemed to work. Went back to Never, and same result...successful when screen was on, but timed out when screen was off.

Some of the members from other forums say that it has something to do with the MAC Address assigned to your phone. Those that are having the problem do not have a MAC Address that start with "00". I consider myself a beginner to intermediate when it comes to being technical. Still have no idea what to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones