• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Widgets stop working/updating

dbastl

Jun 27, 2010
Usually after a day, or a few days, all of my widgets (SwitchPro, Twitter, LiveScores, etc) cease to work or update. I have to restart the phone in order for them to update. They still function to open the app associated with the widget, but stops updating data. Any ideas?

Usually after a day, or a few days, all of my widgets (SwitchPro, Twitter, LiveScores, etc) cease to work or update. I have to restart the phone in order for them to update. They still function to open the app associated with the widget, but stops updating data. Any ideas?

Have you tried tapping them, that usually causes them to update?

You could go into the settings of those apps, and they usually have some refresh times you could look into changing, maybe they aren't frequent enough, i know my Weather Bug Elite maps widget freaks out if its not updated at least every hour.

EDIT: I would also try a battery reboot, by removing the battery and reinserting it and restarting your device.

Upvote 0
OP, are you rooted?

do you have a full screen of widgets and live wallpapers/images? these things take up resources and if the OS senses you are low on memory, it will stop certain processes from functioning until you click on them.
verify how much memory you have on your phone as well.

I am not rooted. If I tap on the widget (take twitter for example) it will take me into the app, but when I go back out to home, the widget still isn't updated (with the latest tweet, in this case). Where it is most frustrating is with SwitchPro widget. I use the WiFi and data toggles the most with this widget. When the problem occurs, the widget still functions, but you wouldn't know it by looking at it. For example, I could tap the Wifi toggle and my WiFi will turn on, but the toggle will not light up as it normally would, or vice versa. I could look at the switchpro widget and think that my WiFi is turned on because the toggle is lit up, when in fact it is not on because the widgets are frozen.

Sorry for the long winded answer!

Upvote 0
could be an issue with the widget. have you contacted the dev? this does not sound like a phone issue but more so like an app issue.

but as i mentioned, if you have a busy homescreen with live wallpapers, lots of widgets, etc, this can slow down things and cause the OS to manage memory more aggressively.

experiment. remove the app, uninstall it, re install it, then re test. try different things.

Reactions: dbastl
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones