• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "wifi-only-mode-abroad" question

efmp1987

Jul 8, 2011
im leaving for the philippines this coming september 7th, and since the specific location that Im headed at within the said country doesnt support the transform in the international list of phones by sprint, it of course will be unusable for such functions as receiving/sending text messages/calls etc even if Im on roaming.

now, what I want to do is turn on airplane mode and just put the phone in wifi mode (wifi hotspots will be everywhere) and go online e.g. facebook using the wifi connection. so technically, i wont be using my phone as a "phone" but rather as a computer.

my question now is, is this possible? has anyone tried it? thanks for any upcoming help. :D

PS: I will have a local phone (non wifi phone) to use for other purposes as texting or calling.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones