• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi Only!

WebghostDK

Lurker
Jun 7, 2009
Hello All.

I'm in this situation that i just bought a HTC Magic G2 from UK, and i live in Denmark.
The phone is Unlocked, which means that i can keep using my current Sim-card, which provides me with free text messages and cheaper calls.
BUT!
The GPRS/3G prices are high, so my question is:
Can i keep using my Sim-Card and just say "Screw the GPRS prices, i can live with that when im sending only MMS messages" and just go with the Wifi signal?
Basicly using GPRS only when i send MMS, and still use the same features on the phone, just by using WiFi signals.
Also if there's no Wifi spots in the current area, does it automaticly go to GPRS? (i dont want it to do that :(

Thank you in advance.

Hello All.

I'm in this situation that i just bought a HTC Magic G2 from UK, and i live in Denmark.
The phone is Unlocked, which means that i can keep using my current Sim-card, which provides me with free text messages and cheaper calls.
BUT!
The GPRS/3G prices are high, so my question is:
Can i keep using my Sim-Card and just say "Screw the GPRS prices, i can live with that when im sending only MMS messages" and just go with the Wifi signal?
Basicly using GPRS only when i send MMS, and still use the same features on the phone, just by using WiFi signals.
Also if there's no Wifi spots in the current area, does it automaticly go to GPRS? (i dont want it to do that :(

Thank you in advance.

The only way I can think of not having GPRS or Edge working ... is to put the phone in Airplane mode ..

Upvote 0
Ok i hear you.

But putting it in Flymode, won't that also make it impossible to send SMS's, using the Wifi, receiving calls etc. ?
How about if i do not enter any WAP/GPRS information for the Magic, couldn't that do the trick?

Yes FlyMode/AirPlane ... shuts down ALL radios...

If you can zero the GPRS that might work ... (i dont have a Magic ...so not sure ??)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones