• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Will not connect to PC

BeRawhh

Apr 4, 2013
US?
I have this HTC/Droid Incredible that won't connect to my pc. When it connects, it does start charging but no notification from the computer or phone, so I can't put stuff on the SD card. I have tried enabling USB debugging but to no avail. I have the original 16gb microsd that came with the phone, it works fine but even when I insert the micosd(using an adapter by Maxell)it says that it needs to be formated and when I try it fails. I have tried using another microsd in my Incredible but still no connection. Not even recognized with HTC Sync. What is the problem?

The issue connecting to the PC could be a few things.

First thing I would try is a different cable as that's the most common issue.

If that doesn't help, you could try re-installing the HTC Sync drivers. Remove whatever drivers have been installed, connecting the phone again and see if they install automatically. Alternatively, you may need to download the drivers from the HTC site and install them manually.

Have you changed your PC? I had a issue getting the HTC Sync drivers to work on 64bit Win7 .. I think I managed to find drivers on the HTC site .. or HTC support helped me. I forget.

Lastly, it may be that the USB port on your phone is damaged / worn and might need a repair. I've had issues where the port seems to 'expand' so the connection becomes loose and therefore unreliable. Sometimes just getting a different cable is enough to fix this as the size of the connectors varies just enough for the marginally bigger ones to work.

Re the card: you say it works on the phone but not in the PC. Could just be that the phone is formatting it differently, maybe ..?

Upvote 0
The issue connecting to the PC could be a few things.

First thing I would try is a different cable as that's the most common issue.

If that doesn't help, you could try re-installing the HTC Sync drivers. Remove whatever drivers have been installed, connecting the phone again and see if they install automatically. Alternatively, you may need to download the drivers from the HTC site and install them manually.

Have you changed your PC? I had a issue getting the HTC Sync drivers to work on 64bit Win7 .. I think I managed to find drivers on the HTC site .. or HTC support helped me. I forget.

Lastly, it may be that the USB port on your phone is damaged / worn and might need a repair. I've had issues where the port seems to 'expand' so the connection becomes loose and therefore unreliable. Sometimes just getting a different cable is enough to fix this as the size of the connectors varies just enough for the marginally bigger ones to work.

Re the card: you say it works on the phone but not in the PC. Could just be that the phone is formatting it differently, maybe ..?
Ok, so my PC *does* recognize my Inc in HBOOT, so they USB couldn't be the problem. But then when I select to reboot in fastboot "dropdown" in HBOOT my PC try's to install a My HTC driver, but fails because the device was unplugged even though it wasn't. Any more options?

Upvote 0
Ok, so my PC *does* recognize my Inc in HBOOT, so they USB couldn't be the problem. But then when I select to reboot in fastboot "dropdown" in HBOOT my PC try's to install a My HTC driver, but fails because the device was unplugged even though it wasn't. Any more options?

Go to device manager on your pc. Select view - show hidden items. Look for an unknown device. Right click, select update driver, and point it to where the modified usb drivers are located. It will change from unknown to android phone. That will get the driver installed, then all you have to figure out is how to keep it connected. Sounds like a bad connection between the phone port and cord. Not sure why you want to connect it, but if its for use of adb, there are apps to do that wirelessly.

Reactions: BeRawhh
Upvote 0
Go to device manager on your pc. Select view - show hidden items. Look for an unknown device. Right click, select update driver, and point it to where the modified usb drivers are located. It will change from unknown to android phone. That will get the driver installed, then all you have to figure out is how to keep it connected. Sounds like a bad connection between the phone port and cord. Not sure why you want to connect it, but if its for use of adb, there are apps to do that wirelessly.
All I really want to do is root my Inc, thats about it.

Upvote 0
So, I did get the My HTC driver installed, but only shows up when I'm in fastboot options, then it sees the Inc as an Android Phone. Is It possible to root from that stage?

Upvote 0
So, I did get the My HTC driver installed, but only shows up when I'm in fastboot options, then it sees the Inc as an Android Phone. Is It possible to root from that stage?

Rooting only requires fasboot. With that you can unlock the bootloader and flash a recovery, and then any rom you want. Once you get a recovery on there you may be able to use adb while in recovery, allowing you to get s-off if so desired. Also you do have usb debugging turned on in the phones settings right? (menu, settings, applications, development)

Reactions: BeRawhh
Upvote 0
Rooting only requires fasboot. With that you can unlock the bootloader and flash a recovery, and then any rom you want. Once you get a recovery on there you may be able to use adb while in recovery, allowing you to get s-off if so desired. Also you do have usb debugging turned on in the phones settings right? (menu, settings, applications, development)
Yes, USB debugging is on.

Upvote 0
Nevermind, my problem still isn't solved. I flashed CWM and am rooted, but I still can't get recognized as a adb device, required to get s-off. I installed modified drivers and HTC Sync. Nothing is working. I am recognized in fastboot and Hboot, but not while powered on. Anymore suggestions?

Remove htc sync as it can interfear with adb. Also make sure to check device manager on your pc. You have to install the driver for every mode. (hboot/fastboot, recovery, os) So just because you installed the driver for hboot/fastboot, dosent mean its installed for in recovery or the os.

Upvote 0
Remove htc sync as it can interfear with adb. Also make sure to check device manager on your pc. You have to install the driver for every mode. (hboot/fastboot, recovery, os) So just because you installed the driver for hboot/fastboot, dosent mean its installed for in recovery or the os.
I removed HTC Sync, the only thing I need is the adb drivers. Are there any download links for a download to the Droid Incredible adb drivers?

Upvote 0
Unzip it someplace. Go to the files and right click on the inf file and select install. Or you can go to devive manager, right click on android phone and select update driver. Browse and select the folder with the driver files.
Right clicking and installing the .inf file gives me an error and doing the link you gave me still doesn't allow me to see it as an adb device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones