• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the camera ever be REALLY fixed?

.......the whole point in having a larger megapixel count is to achieve clearer pictures. ......

The whole point in having more pixels is marketing hype and nothing more. Cramming 5 megapixels in a sensor this small, with a tiny, mediocre lens is folly. Excess pixels for the sensor size results in more noise and nothing more.

My camera hasn't misfocused since I got it and it does what I expected for a poor implementation of a "camera". It will record events well enough when I don't have a real camera available (unlikely).

Upvote 0
The video is good because it is the result of combined pixels. The fact is with 5MP crammed into a tiny sensor, the amount of light hitting each pixel is miniscule..resulting in noise at full resolution. Turn the resolution down on the pictures also, and you'll see better results just like the video.

Software processing can only do so much. At full resolution, the pictures will be mediocre no matter what.

Upvote 0
lp.jpgI think the camera is just fine for a PHONE!!!! I took great pics all weekend at the Titans/Rams game and am VERY happy with it..

Upvote 0
The video is good because it is the result of combined pixels. The fact is with 5MP crammed into a tiny sensor, the amount of light hitting each pixel is miniscule..resulting in noise at full resolution. Turn the resolution down on the pictures also, and you'll see better results just like the video.

Software processing can only do so much. At full resolution, the pictures will be mediocre no matter what.

Resolution as in megapixels or the quality setting?

Upvote 0
Resolution as in megapixels or the quality setting?

Resolution in megapixels. The quality setting is for compression. Leave this set to superfine for best results(larger files, but less compressed-loses less detail).

Turning the resolution down will cause the camera to combine pixels, giving a better chance to get a decent per-pixel read of the image.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones