• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the use of Google music, etc., require a higher data usage plan?

If I end up with a phone with 16g, and no sd, will I be needing a bigger data usage plan than what would normally be needed if not using google music/tv, or any other cloud-type deal?
All depends on how you use it.

If you use a lot of data, then your going to need a bigger data plan. Only you know how much you plan to stream. But if you're an avid music listener, then probably. Avid movie streamer, then definately.

And welcome to the forums.

Reactions: g nexta
Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome, too!
I guess I'm only referring to mainly music listening, as if on itunes vs.....(i don't know the equivalent of itunes for androiders...). I will be listening to music alot on the job, and elsewhere. The cloud concept I've been reading about looks like it could gobble many Gs.

Upvote 0
Slow to respond to this but if it helps- during the week I use Gmusic just about all day long. I work as a sub-contract painter and some of the yahoos I have to put up with require my complete and utter distraction hahaha. With that being said, I have NEVER gone over 5gb in a month, that I've noticed. I don't look all that often because of my grandfathered unlimited data, but I looked not that long ago (14 days into the current billing cycle) and I was at 2.3gb. I had been using the web a lot more than I usually do though because of my addiction to tracking the Nexus all day long. So take that for what its worth.

Upvote 0
I have a rezound right now (which I will return for Nexus once its out), and Google music data usage for me has been extremely high. Each song is close to 10mb at normal quality, 15mb at highly quality. I tried using 4g and 3g, and it was the same result. I'm new to android, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Upvote 0
My wife doesn't have the unlimited data plan like I do (haha, sucka!). She doesn't watch a lot of video (YouTube here and there), but listens to Pandora/GMUsic/TuneIn a lot. She's never broken her 2gig, so you should be fine.

EDIT: On second thought, I have the unlimited plan and do a lot (tethering, Youpo...Tube, I mean) and never went over 5 gigs.

Upvote 0
I have a rezound right now (which I will return for Nexus once its out), and Google music data usage for me has been extremely high. Each song is close to 10mb at normal quality, 15mb at highly quality. I tried using 4g and 3g, and it was the same result. I'm new to android, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

do you mean that the 10-15 mbs could be multiple songs? not sure what you are saying here...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones