• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the Xoom fail at Launch?

*raises hand*

can i aks a question? ( i meant to type aks. :) )

why do you guys all say the same things:

1. its too much
2. it will fail
3. there is something better on the horizon

rinse /repeat...

how many times do you all need to say the same thing? really? no one is really listening.. the xoom does not have flash nor will the sd slot be in play at launch. its 800 plus bux and LTE is not turned on. so far none of the negative points you all have expressed has waned my desire to grab this tablet. and you are are just repeating yourselves to each other.. why? whats to be gained from saying the same things? :(

this thread is a fail... no disrespect to anyone posting here. however you come into a PRO xoom forum to say its a fail? its not going to be. it will be a hit. its the first tab of its kind.. its paving the way for the other tabs. its high time the ipad had a run for its money, and the xoom will be ONE of the FIRST to knock the wind out of the ipads sails..

i love all you guys and gals.. lets just have a big hug and roast some marshmallows.. k? :)

Upvote 0
Being an android fan, proud owner of an incredible and galaxy tab, and professed apple hater, I purchased a 32gb ipad last friday. For what it does I'm enjoying it but I will be jailbreaking it tonight. This is a must.

Why did I buy an ipad?

The xoom is just too effing expensive. I love the device but they are taking advantage of being first to market with a good tablet. I'm all for making money but they went full re ****. Now instead of having my kids grow up using android they are using android and iOS.

Motorola could have kept my house all android but they decided to make fast $ instead of long $.

Reactions: ghodzilla5150
Upvote 0
*raises hand*

1. its too much
2. it will fail

rinse /repeat...

how many times do you all need to say the same thing? really? no one is really listening.. the xoom does not have flash nor will the sd slot be in play at launch. its 800 plus bux and LTE is not turned on. so far none of the negative points you all have expressed has waned my desire to grab this tablet. and you are are just repeating yourselves to each other.. why? whats to be gained from saying the same things? :(

this thread is a fail... no disrespect to anyone posting here. however you come into a PRO xoom forum to say its a fail? its not going to be. it will be a hit. its the first tab of its kind.. its paving the way for the other tabs. its high time the ipad had a run for its money, and the xoom will be ONE of the FIRST to knock the wind out of the ipads sails..

i love all you guys and gals.. lets just have a big hug and roast some marshmallows.. k? :)

I agree completely. Some of these threads are just echo chambers.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
*raises hand*

1. its too much
2. it will fail

rinse /repeat...

Salam Wa Alekum! Hallelujah! The wise one commends you for your thoughts.

Everyone lets not bring ourselves down. This is a moment for Android lovers to rejoice. Let's share in the victory of slicing the apple and feed it to the drones. :eek:

Upvote 0
*raises hand*

1. its too much
2. it will fail

rinse /repeat...

Lol, it's hard to find a "PRO" Xoom forum or even a thread without something negative about the pricing. Xoom owners and potential buyers should be glad that the biggest negative about the Xoom is the pricing. At least it's not anything negative about the hardware or software. Prices are easy fixes that can come from other sources other than VZ or Moto.

Upvote 0
Lol, it's hard to find a "PRO" Xoom forum or even a thread without something negative about the pricing. Xoom owners and potential buyers should be glad that the biggest negative about the Xoom is the pricing. At least it's not anything negative about the hardware or software. Prices are easy fixes that can come from other sources other than VZ or Moto.

You must understand it is the savvy discernment of the Android Fanboy that has and will push the platform to the outer limits.

Upvote 0
Did you see the Nvidia enhanced games on you tube for the Xoom?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NfNhYbp9hY

Did yall see how fast the games loaded!?!?!?

The iPad mode for that space game Galaxy on Fire 2 says it all..that's another question I have: will current games be able to be enhanced for Tegra 2 and future dual core chips, gpu's?

Oh yea to stay on topic...the Xoom wont fail at launch.

Upvote 0
thats what im talkin' 'bout!

i cant wait, as im at the job (cant get mine 'till quittin' time) i will look FORWARD to reading the "i got my xoom" posts! complete with unboxings and smiley faces... then this thread will fadeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..................................

I took the day off from work, ill be sure to post pics and my first impression for you to read. :D

Upvote 0
You see, some of us don't drink the kool-aid and actually want Android to GROW (let me explain). With the high price of the Xoom, it is doomed to fail as a mass consumer device. Believe it or not, developers monitor what's going on. If they see said Android Honeycomb device as very expensive, they know it will not have mass appeal, which in turn they have no intentions of developing Awesome Apps for the platform because they won't make any money in return. Now let's look at the main competition, Apple's iPad. They have an entry level 16gb WiFi ONLY unit for $499. The masses bought it in spades. Dev's see this and see a viable option to make money on their Apps. To have any success the average Joe Blow HAS, let me say that AGAIN, HAS to buy said product. This device will NOT last long as a niche product geared towards the techies and nerds. This device has to find it's way to the Wal-Mart's of the world. At the $799 entry level price, this device is doomed to fail. The masses don't care about specs and the like. They care about simplicity, apps, and most importantly PRICE. I want Android to do well as competition benefits us all (I also want Android to do well because I am a techie). At this point most will just wait for the other Android manufacturers OR the iPad 2. The only way for Android/Honeycomb to be a healthy platform is to get it into as many households as possible as this will bring the Dev's and great Apps. When introducing a new device/platform such as this, you HAVE to come in at a price point equal to or lower than the impending king. You may even have to take a loss at 1st (MSFT and Sony understood this with the 360 & PS3 respectively). They took hits in the beginning but are both making money now.

It's not the hardware that makes money BUT the software. Once Dev's like Epic jump on board and start making cool games (like Infinity Blade) for Honeycomb, people start to see this and in turn more units are sold. It's the Apps that will sell the hardware. You NEED the big time Dev's interested in your platform to survive and at this point and time I hardly doubt they are ready to jump aboard as they see the high entry price and know this device will be a hard sell to the masses. I guess time will tell. They know they will make money developing for the iPad and thus have allocated their resources as such.

Reactions: whs37
Upvote 0
You see, some of us don't drink the kool-aid and actually want Android to GROW (let me explain). With the high price of the Xoom, it is doomed to fail as a mass consumer device. Believe it or not, developers monitor what's going on. If they see said Android Honeycomb device as very expensive, they know it will not have mass appeal, which in turn they have no intentions of developing Awesome Apps for the platform because they won't make any money in return. Now let's look at the main competition, Apple's iPad. They have an entry level 16gb WiFi ONLY unit for $499. The masses bought it in spades. Dev's see this and see a viable option to make money on their Apps. To have any success the average Joe Blow HAS, let me say that AGAIN, HAS to buy said product. This device will NOT last long as a niche product geared towards the techies and nerds. This device has to find it's way to the Wal-Mart's of the world. At the $799 entry level price, this device is doomed to fail. The masses don't care about specs and the like. They care about simplicity, apps, and most importantly PRICE. I want Android to do well as competition benefits us all (I also want Android to do well because I am a techie). At this point most will just wait for the other Android manufacturers OR the iPad 2. The only way for Android/Honeycomb to be a healthy platform is to get it into as many households as possible as this will bring the Dev's and great Apps. When introducing a new device/platform such as this, you HAVE to come in at a price point equal to or lower than the impending king. You may even have to take a loss at 1st (MSFT and Sony understood this with the 360 & PS3 respectively). They took hits in the beginning but are both making money now.

It's not the hardware that makes money BUT the software. Once Dev's like Epic jump on board and start making cool games (like Infinity Blade) for Honeycomb, people start to see this and in turn more units are sold. It's the Apps that will sell the hardware. You NEED the big time Dev's interested in your platform to survive and at this point and time I hardly doubt they are ready to jump aboard as they see the high entry price and know this device will be a hard sell to the masses. I guess time will tell. They know they will make money developing for the iPad and thus have allocated their resources as such.

I think you have confused the Xoom with Honeycomb. IF, and I stress IF, the Xoom fails, Honeycomb ISN'T going down in flames with it.

Upvote 0

There will be Android tablets from many manufacturers in the next 2-6 months. Motorola has decided to stake out the high-end, at least initially. There's nothing wrong with that. They need to differentiate themselves in a field of similar products, and they're doing it on build quality, according to all the hands-on brief reviews we've seen. There will be options at every price point on the spectrum - that's what Android is all about.

I truly believe that all of the animosity on the various forums is due to the price, and the fact that is the first real iPad competitor. Many people were really hoping for a sub-iPad price, and are enraged that it didn't happen. It wasn't realistic to expect this to be a $500 device, and some people are really unhappy.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I guess we will see what happens. Honeycomb may get a bad rep if the Xoom goes down in flames as it's the 1st Android Honeycomb tablet to hit the market. It looks as if Samsung and LG may be going down the same road. The Touchpad and Playbook are other alternatives. Time will tell. They better not wait too long as there are rumors that the iPad 2 may be revealed in a couple of weeks. IF Apple drops the price of the OG iPad to say $399, then it may be game over before it even begins. The Honeycomb Tablet manufacturers are playing a dangerous game of pricing these tablets above the entry level iPad.

Upvote 0
I guess we will see what happens. Honeycomb may get a bad rep if the Xoom goes down in flames as it's the 1st Android Honeycomb tablet to hit the market. It looks as if Samsung and LG may be going down the same road. The Touchpad and Playbook are other alternatives. Time will tell. They better not wait too long as there are rumors that the iPad 2 may be revealed in a couple of weeks. IF Apple drops the price of the OG iPad to say $399, then it may be game over before it even begins. The Honeycomb Tablet manufacturers are playing a dangerous game of pricing these tablets above the entry level iPad.

Honeycomb & Gingerbread are getting merged in the next 6 months. Even if the Honeycomb release were to get botched, it still has a safety net of millions of android users. In any case, its not happening, I don't expect Honeycomb to overtake iOS's tablet share anytime soon but its gonna take a chunk and and wedge its way in one or another

Upvote 0
Being an android fan, proud owner of an incredible and galaxy tab, and professed apple hater, I purchased a 32gb ipad last friday. For what it does I'm enjoying it but I will be jailbreaking it tonight. This is a must.

Why did I buy an ipad?

The xoom is just too effing expensive. I love the device but they are taking advantage of being first to market with a good tablet. I'm all for making money but they went full re ****. Now instead of having my kids grow up using android they are using android and iOS.

Motorola could have kept my house all android but they decided to make fast $ instead of long $.

You do realize that the WiFi only Xoom is coming out within a mounth and is the same price you just payed for that iPad right? You also realize the Xoom has twice the processing power and 4 times the ram correct?

Silly purchase if you ask me and I'm typing this on a iPad and have my Xoom preorder all ready for Thursday.

Upvote 0
^Yea...the Wifi Xoom is gonna be around $600 too...and if you get the 3G 32GB iPad at $729.....thats only a $70 difference from the 3G Xoom.

The last post is what some of us are talking about...the Xoom will be very similar in price to the iPad, 3G and Wifi version....

One is willing to pay a very, very similar price for the iPad....but the Xoom is too expensive? I dont get it...

Right now the 16GB Wifi only iPad would be the only smart buy between the 2 if price is really a factor. Now vs. the 16GB iPad Wifi only model...I can see that point about it being too expensive.

Upvote 0
You do realize that the WiFi only Xoom is coming out within a mounth and is the same price you just payed for that iPad right? You also realize the Xoom has twice the processing power and 4 times the ram correct?

Silly purchase if you ask me and I'm typing this on a iPad and have my Xoom preorder all ready for Thursday.

I hope your right about the xoom wifi release. I was actually expecting a may release but a march release would be sweeeeet and would make total sense. The xoom only needs two types of models since it has a sd card slot so phase one of the tablet takeover can start with the 3g model then a full onslaught by the end of march with the release of the wifi model. Moto could get as many units sold of the 3g model before bringing out the wifi models. That could really hurt apples ipad 2 launch if they decide to launch in april.

Damn maybe moto knows what they're doing after all!

Upvote 0
*raises hand*

1. its too much
2. it will fail

rinse /repeat...

OMG.. Amen... nothing will change by people repeating the same crap. As a former iPad owner twice over, as well as ipod, and current Macbook Pro... I want to feel FREE. This stuff will all work out over time. Moto will offer a quality product to get the ball rolling...

THE KEY HERE IS - Android Honeycomb, and not the Xoom!

Just as the success of Android itself has blossomed to take on iPhone, so will Android Honeycomb on various devices.

So have patience peeps... stop hating, and start loving!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones