• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will this get KitKat anytime soon?

My Android OS upgrade experiences to date have been mixed bag. In all cases a backup, factory reset, update, and restore approach has yielded best results. Regardless, some OS upgrades have been anything but. Decreased battery life, slower performance, some app incompatibility, other issues have left me wishing I hadn't jumped to update so quickly. To be fair some OS upgrades have worked out for the better bringing improved performance or increased feature set, etc.

I'll be holding off on the upgrade once 4.4 is released through Tmobile, waiting to see how it works out for those who jump in right away before committing to the update. My Note 3 is perfect as is and I don't want to do anything to mess things up.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of chasing firmware updates for the sake of it.

If a phone is working perfectly leave it be.... I know from bitter experience that firmware updates can be a nightmare.

I updated my Note 1 and all I got was lag, lag, lag. Seriously cheesed off.

I truly believe " if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I am firmly planted in this camp as well.

"Upgrading firmware and the OS" solely for having the "latest and greatest" is often a very poor decision. I find when one chooses to focus on functionality as it relates to each of our specific needs, it ends up being the highest and best use of our time.

Once fully optimized and running smoothly, I'm very satisfied and happy that I've achieved my goal. At that point it's time to sit back, use my smartphone and enjoy all it does for me.

Upvote 0
My theory is Samsung is spreading fake rumors of the Note 3 getting an 4.4 update in order to sell more Note 3s during the Christmas shopping rush. Then after the shopping rush is over, you'll hear the rumor was false.

Do you have any evidence to support that accusation? Note 3 is already selling ridiculously well. When has Samsung used such a cynical bait and switch approach before?

The Note 2 is just getting 4.3...

Do you honestly think we're getting 4.4 in January???

LOL!

What does the Note 3 upgrade schedule have to do with the Note 2 upgrade schedule?

Sorry, I don't find these posts to be very productive. :thinking:

Upvote 0
In general I think the only case where a newer operating system is likely to ruin a phone is when the phone was already RAM starved and the newer Android makes even more memory demands. With KitKat it's going to be the opposite -- you'll have more usable RAM with the newer operating system.

Windows 7 was a similar rare example -- installing it on a Vista PC would usually make the machine run faster and smoother.

Nope. Ice cream sandwich was much better on Maxx hd than jellybean simply because it had more options. Lag on both was about the same.

Upvote 0
Truuuuuue that! The only thing you can count on with Verizon is that you can't count on things with Verizon. Haha

And getting more bloatware...something I have come to dread considering the number of apps that comes with my phone is astoundingly high, I wonder, how the heck do they get this many pre-installed...

Upvote 0
Nothing for the US yet, But KitKat (Android 4.4) updates for the International version are starting to be released now. Poland gets it first.

Or if your so inclined- any body who wants to use Odin and flash it themselves provided they have an SM-N9005 version of the Note 3. It will break CSC codes though and you'll never be able to update via Kies or OTA, but you may not care, I shall wait myself, and make sure from early adopters it is all OK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones