• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I've been using Firefox instead of Chrome for the last week or so with no problems, until this morning. When I tried to log in, a banner
appeared saying cookies must be accepted to allow the login to proceed but there was no means of accepting cookies on the screen. Anybody else experiencing this?

This was with my Lenovo tablet, it doesn't happen on my Pixel 3a.

As a matter of interest I have tried with Chrome and the cookie banner did not appear and the login was okay, weird or what?

As a matter of interest, are you using Chrome for these forums on your Pixel 3a?

Our phones are broadly similar in spec (your 3a is better but my 4/64 SD 660 vs your SD 665 I think, mines also Android 10, on Three),

but it's gone to an extreme stage for me in that I cannot hit a page target for several seconds as its constantly moving. Hilarious and infuriating.

Added : It's not the delay now but I'm hitting a different target a millisecond after it moved and I'm having to go back from what then loads and try again. I forget what I could do to fix this but I'm thinking Google's targeted ads (they are mostly relevant to what I viewed on other apps) have taken over. I wonder is it any better with a new very high spec device and a better network (Three are slow still imv)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
@Madasa,

I have an HTC 10, the Pixel 3a and a Lenovo tablet.The HTC is Android 8, the tablet is 9 and Pixel is 10.

The strange thing is that the cookie banner only appeared this morning and only on the tablet using Firefox. I'm on my tablet now but using Chrome again and the cookie banner isn't showing with Chrome so I can log in ok, all a bit weird. I have raised it with @NightAngel79 and he thinks it must be a setting in Firefox which I tend to agree with but can't find anything in Firefox but having said that it is normally the website that puts an 'Accept cookies' button on the page.

Upvote 0
I dumped Chrome almost immediately.

Right from the start, I found it annoying in many ways, and that was before I even knew what being annoyed with aspects of Android really was.

So, I went with FireFox at first, becuse that is what everyone does, right?

But the thing is so slow. Like molassass in Alaska slow. Did I mention how slow it was? I swore I saw an old lady with a walker lap the block while I was checking the weather.

Then there was Brave. I adore cats, so the icon looked awesome on my pathetic device.
It seemed ok. But that was right at their beginnings. The app was very new.

After a while and some more learning on my part, I discovered some things I did not like about Brave.
The size of the app. The ads. Yes, they can be turned off- they still exist. The other offers, and things I don't remember (it has been a few years).
Then I scanned Brave with Add-Ons Detector. This app tells you what things are lurking inside each of your apps (ever wonder why I despise Google so much?).

Turns out that Brave has one of the most dangerous permissions allowed on Android: ABILITY TO DOWNLOAD FILES WITHOUT PERMISSION.

This is just as nefarious as it seems upon first reading- the app can literally download files from the internet without your permission, or even telling you about it.

When I asked them why this is a part of their app, the answer was basically a word salad that was not very satisfying.

Yeah, so I dropped that b**** off at the curb.
I threw that cat's litterbox right out with it.

The answer to my prayers for a better browser were soon answered upon my discovery of Lightning.
Yes, I go on and on about this browser, but I really have made some converts- all they have to do is try it and see.

The UI is eye pleasing (in dark or amoled mode), unlike any of the other listed apps (without ad-ons, which slow browsers down) and mentally ergonomic. Swipe right for your tabs, and swipe right for your bookmarks.

The privacy that is built in is pretty hard to beat (you just need to USE it).

The speed is phenominal. Second to none.
Lightning uses the Android System Webview that is built into every Android device. Browsers that are bloated in size are often using their own webview. Why do I want two?

There is a built in ad-blocker.

The cookies, cache, and web storagecan all be set to clear upon the closing of the app.

Unlimited tabs, unlimited bookmarks.

And then there is the way that you can have any homepage that you want, and the choice of any search engine.

Sure, it looks pretty plain and unexciting when you first start it up, but remember that it is designed to be customized by the user.

Lightning (Lightweight web browser) - https://f-droid.org/app/acr.browser.lightning

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones