• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will We Get 2.1?

NowVoyager

Android Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2009
Left Coast
I've always said that the Behold2 is a great looking phone. It has software/OS issues for sure. However, I don't use the cube so, that bit of nonsense doesn't get in my way.

The laggi-ness does get on my nerves because it slows things to a crawl much too often. Sometimes programs or the TouchWiz slider don't open when they should. Frozen-ness happens too.

The scary part is that I have very few third party apps installed. Sometimes the controls for the Media player don't show up at all. So you can see why I am reticent to install anything beyond what I consider to be essentials so as not to over-burden an already beleaguered setup.

Considering these known issues, why were we ignored on the Android 1.6 release? We weren't graced with 2.0 either. Now 2.1 is on the horizon and there is no word about its being sent our way. I'd like to think that Samsung or Tmo wants to keep us happy so that we don't jump ship in a few days. I could dump this puppy because I am within my 14 days and am not a happy camper.

Questions: What if anything will an upgraded OS do to improve the performance of our processor? Or, what improvements might we expect with a new OS release?

NV

Many issues(Battery, lag, etc) are addressed in updated Android version, just look at issues other Android phones had before their updates. As for the update itself, its up to the manufacturer (Samsung). And then once the update is out, its up to Tmo to distribute it over the air.

Samsung has stated they will be coming out with an update, so its just a waiting game.

Upvote 0
Many issues(Battery, lag, etc) are addressed in updated Android version, just look at issues other Android phones had before their updates. As for the update itself, its up to the manufacturer (Samsung). And then once the update is out, its up to Tmo to distribute it over the air.

Samsung has stated they will be coming out with an update, so its just a waiting game.

Speaking of battery life - This is insane!!! I have been told to install something called AppKiller which may help to close any programs that may be causing my battery to drain. If I leave my phone on (Why would I want to turn it off???) with the screen black and locked. I awaken to a drained battery. I have to keep the phone plugged in in order to have a working phone by morning. Total craziness!

And just how long do we wait... 1.6/2.0/2.1 and counting! If I were Samsung, I'd drop 2.1 to coincide with the N1 launch...pull focus!!! - What say you?

Upvote 0
I'd say you've never done development. Things take time, especially testing. I guess as someone who knows I'm a bit more patient.

Just a simple gyrl with a dream...of a working phone that does what its supposed to do, LOL

And as for testing, If what we have is a result of so much testing, I can only conclude that Sammy couldn't have done much testing of this before they launched. There are too many glitches that are universal. And, I'd have to further conclude that there was a rush to market and an attitude of "let the users suffer through" - All the more reason to get the updates out asap.

Just curious. Do you think that we were denied the recent updates because they were imperfect? (I would imagine that most updates are in some ways so, I don't see the logic behind the withholding). I don't know the criteria for releasing an official update, that is why I'm asking.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
There is no mass firmware that T-Mobile has that is better then what we got.

1.6 runs like total crap also, I think even worse. I am comparing this to my MyTouch.

I know it sucks, but it's a fact. It will most likely be ages until those ass wipes release a fully well functional firmware.

Shit, a custom ROM will probably come first.

Upvote 0
For the lagginess, install one of the other homescreens, as has been suggested in other threads. I'm running dxTop, and the difference is dramatic. It replaces the touchwiz home screen, so it's not that there will be a second app running at the same time to make it more laggy. In addition, some of them, including dxTop, have an easy interface to let you see what apps are running, and kill them (check the secondary menu on dxTop, and do a long click on an app in that menu).

Go ahead and install third party apps; you may find that a lot of them run better than the apps that Samsung dropped on it. The android OS manages resources pretty well, so usually running apps won't interfere with each other and slow things down unless they bug out (like weatherbug does).

You will have to charge the phone every day, unfortunately, but that's just how the smartphone game is right now. Battery tech is behind everything else. In addition, watch out for the battery killing apps: weatherbug and, in my experience, the facebook app are particularly atrocious.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones