• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WMA, MP3, player/converter question???

corance

May 2, 2012
Ok, so i have a ton of songs on an mp3 player that i want to move to my triumph. it would be super easy just to copy them to my comp then to my triump. only problem is they are wma's...does anyone know a music app for the triumph that plays wmas and mp3s and all the other ones...a free app. or what is a good converter i can download? is there a converter app i can download to my phone that way i can just put the music on my phone and then convert it instead of having to put it on my comp, then convert it, then put it on my phone? hope this makes sense.

1. Free app that plays wma's, mp3s, etc?
2. Free app for my phone that will convert wma's to mp3s?
3. If nothing else, free program for computer that will convert wma's to mp3s quickly?

I'm not sure about an app that'll play wmv, there may be one

As for converting tho, ur PC should have more power and be able to convert faster, I can't remember if its free or not, but I used to use a program called dbpoweramp music converter, it also has a batch converter so u can select all songs to be converted at one time

Upvote 0
I have a solution for you... from Cnet.com downloads. It's called FreeRIP. It will convert those wma's to mp3's. And it's free to download. The trick to using it is watch where you put those files. By default, it will park those new mp3's on your desktop. So you'll have tons of songs cluttering up your beautiful home screen if you don't re-set the options. Once you have the program downloaded, have engaged the converter, chosen your songs, and they list in the converter window to be ripped to mp3's, go to Files>Settings>Options>Output tab>Output Base Path. That listing will show you a little square window beside the file name C:// whatever. Hit that window and it will allow you to choose whatever file in your PC you want to park those mp3's into. If you have a new folder waiting, then it will automatically load there. Prepare folders with your album names on them and it will be easy to load then right in. Nice feature

Upvote 0
i personally have never seen anything in windows format that i liked lol, i always prefer a MP3 with a Lame 320kbps conversion, i used to convert them to that, then used a program called mp3gain that allowed me to change the volume levels, i dont believe the mp3 one is free anymore either

but i did look and the dbpower converter i suggested earlier is not free anymore so :( lol

the only reason i suggested that is cause If u were going to convert a pc will have much much more power then your phone does, i used to convert whole cd's in less then 5 minutes and i have a old 2001 pc

but the programs people are suggesting that actually support wma playback instead of conversions is probly easier all round and your best bet lol

Upvote 0
I suggest you convert files to .ogg. You get great sound quality at lower bitrates thus getting more music on your phone. I use a program called Goldwave to convert files. AAC works well too. Both these file formats are compatible with the default music player on your Triumph.

No, I'm not an audiophile, but wanted to get the most out of the factory 2 Gig Micro SD card. Since then I bought a 16 Gig Micro SD card and file size is not such a big deal.

Upvote 0
if you use a good converter the quality shouldn't be terrible, you normally just wanna make sure your original, or source files isnt the worst quality

tryin to convert terrible quality to amazing quality will not work, its always better to start with the best source you can

usually how i do it is i shoot to get my music at 192kbps then i convert it to 320kbps in LameMP3 Extreme Lossless quality

then i take my new 320kbps mp3 and feed it into MP3Gain and readjust my volume levels

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones