• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wondering about sd card

You could disable the bloatware, disabled they won't take much room on the storage.

Settings, Apps, ... choose the bloatware apps for disabling, with some you might to have to remove the updates before you can disable them.

Using the SD card:
Look after these apps that have large data contents saved on storage, helpful for that could be a tool like DiskUsage.

Apps with large data contents like offline navigation usually have the option in their settings to determine their data storage location, so you'd choose your SD card.

For pictures and videos the SD card would be the ideal place, but you'd have to move them manually most times I'm afraid.

Harry

Reactions: moosecrouse
Upvote 0
It's not Samsung, it was a change made by google effective with ICS.

Some of it is explained in this article, which also contains a link to reddit where the actual MTP-related portion of it is talked about by a google engineer.

There are ways around it explained on XDA but I believe you have to be rooted - I don't remember for sure.

There has been a lot of misinformation about this issue, in fact, if you google it one of the first hits is a guy on a forum insisting it's a Droid issue and you have to complain directly to Motorola :rolleyes:

It should be noted that apps can still store their data on the SD card, so hopefully future updates to large apps such as games will do that.

For pictures and videos the SD card would be the ideal place, but you'd have to move them manually most times I'm afraid.

Harry
Good points. Let me add that as far as pics and vids go, you can change the default save location so that you only have to move existing ones and in the future they'll go to the new location. (I'm sure you know that, Harry, I'm only stating it for the benefit of the OP)

Reactions: moosecrouse
Upvote 0
Why would you want to do that ? You have plenty of processor and on board memory on the phone to do the job for pages and pages of apps.

My suggestion: Get a 60gb memory card. Download Android file transfer to your desktop. Connect your Note as USB drive. Move pictures, videos and music to SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones