• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wondering which rom to use with Optimus V

I have the Novatek version of the Optimus V. I'm actually brand new to smart phones BTW

I was wondering, this late in the game, which rom to install on it. I was looking into the cyangenmod 11 kitkat but I've heard of Mirage which I think is based on cyangenmod 7, so may be too outdated. I actually found a list of compatible roms (doesn't show all of them) on a website but I can't post links yet because I'm new to the forum (hi, everyone!).

It lists Backside, Bumblebee, Icsandwich, Sonygenmod, Honey, MIUIHO, Rodimus and Reborn. I'm sure there are others, too.

Considering the size of my phone's ram, only 512MB, I'm wondering what is the best rom to use? Also, I read that Rom Manager was to be avoided at all costs. I've installed Rom Toolbox Lite, so hoping that works better.

2nd question: I hear about people installing Kernels, but aren't the kernels already included in the above mod roms? Very important to know.

3rd question: I read somewhere (can't find it now to save my life) that a phone with limited storage like mine can be expanded to 1GB. Can this be done to the Optimus V? (Most games I look at are sizable and have to install on the system first before they are moved to the sdcard. (Link2sd isn't a help right now, see next question)

4th question: Link2sd fails to run on my phone suddenly (uninstalled, redownloaded, reinstalled, cleaned data and cache, rebooted and so on). But when it was working it couldn't create links for my 2nd partition (tried both fat32 and ext2--highest version I could go) on my sdcard (kept giving me the error "mount script cannot be created"). Nothing I found via Google was adequate (so many tutorials with dead links anyway).

Related to this (This problem could be solved by installing a modded rom, but I'm just wondering if it's something that can be fixed in the first place) my phone started misbehaving 2 days ago (original condition, though I did root it) and I cannot download ANYTHING from googleplay now (I've done all the troubleshooting tutorials and nothing fixes this, including updating to version 4.6.17). I'm forced to use aptoide to find apps because of this. Anyway, lets assume flashing a new rom is going to make this a moot point.

That's all I can think of now. Like I said, I'm a noob at using smartphones. Took me 3 days to figure out how to root my phone, for instance. Thanks.

Considering everything, the ROM you want uses the SD card as internal storage. I don't know if anyone has written such a ROM for that phone. The next best choice would be a ROM that takes the least amount of storage - unless you're going to install all the apps that were removed from it to make it smaller, in which case you wouldn't gain anything.

A phone today with 512MB of storage is like running a 1932 Deuce Coupe at Indy - you'll make it around the track, but you won't turn in a decent time.

The reason we can upgrade phones every 2 years or thereabouts is that after 2 years the phone is too small and too slow for the apps that are then current. Buying a top of the line phone may extend that to 3 years, but the industry moves too fast to expect to use a phone for anything more than phone calls, texts and a few apps after that.

Upvote 0
Look in the All Things Root Guide sticky.
Everything you need to know about a rooted V is in there.

If you have a Novatek screen you can install any ROM in the list.

If you have rooted your phone you will need to install a custom flash_image and recovery before installing a ROM. There is a guide for that.

bigsupersquids KitKat ROM also is in a OS2SD version which will gain more space. You can download big games using it.
There is also a script for use with his internal version that is used with Link2SD that will work as well. I downloaded an app that was over 200MB when fully installed using it.

The best ROMs for our phone are the MiRaGe
Bean_Whiz
bigsupersquids KitKat.
Use the Touchscreen ClockworkMod or BobZohme's VM670NH Recovery for MiRaGe or Bean_Whiz. Use the recovery specified for the particular version of KitKat that you want to install.

If you need to install the ZV9 update you have to use the Xionia or BobZohme recovery. Anything else will brick the phone.

ROMs come with a kernel, but there are also custom kernels for just about every OS version. Just wipe cache and dalvik cache in the recovery before installing.

Reactions: gamesturbator
Upvote 0
Does the Mirage offer the extended space like squid's kitkat? Seems like Mirage is always top of the list on the older threads.

It can, especially if you use the latest version of Link2SD. Data can now be sent to the /sdext partition, and linked back to internal memory.

Mirage is great, but I've had good luck with:

|WIP|ROM|GB|2.3.8||ZVD|Official| CM7 Fused CyanMobile Optimus Xperience

which I found over at Android Central. It has a lot of the Jelly Bean features on top of a CM7 Gingerbread OS. It comes with a2sd, but I prefer Link2SD. The dev for this ROM isn't hosting this file. I am, for the moment. Here's the link if you're interested (from my Google Drive): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1uNTznhA9ticmFXamtvLXU3aW8/edit?usp=sharing

KitKat for the V is great, but I'll come back to it if the clock timer and overheating issues are rectified. Otherwise I'm sticking with the ROM I listed here.

EDIT: Changed my mind... will go back to MiRage ASAP. I think this CyanMo's gone a bit WONK WONK on me.

Upvote 0
Not actually. The script I mentioned by Toucan4257 might work though. I haven't had time to test it on the MiRaGe, I have been to busy tweaking my own (Bean_Whiz), and making crazy/cool bootanimation combo's.
Flash the MiRaGe, make a backup of it in the recovery with ES File Explorer and Link2SD installed.Try flashing the script zip. If it doesn't look like it flashed/installed properly, install contents of zip manually with ES File Explorer. Then reboot phone.
Thread to script zip and wiper zip is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-optimus-v-internal-kitkat-mount-scripts.html

Note: The All Things Root Guide sticky is the best place for all things for a rooted V.
If you have any problems with ES or recovery and ROM install, don't hesitate to ask.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones