• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Won't sleep

I am having the same issue. My up time = awake time. My batter usage is as follows:

Cell Standby - 28% --> Should it be this high on standby?
Phone Idle - 25%
Wi-Fi - 21%
Android System - 19%
Display - 7%

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If your phone is on and you don't use it Cell Standby can be up over 40%...mine is now, but that is fine. Most likely it is an app not letting your Inc sleep or something that is constantly pollng. Any 3rd party apps you've installed that you could list?

Upvote 0
I was getting poor battery performance. Until I did 2 things. Stopped running live wallpaper and turned off 3g. I am not in 3g anyways and I work from home so I don't need it most of the time. We are supposed to be getting 3g this month. I would say I went from 6 hrs heavy use on charge to over 24 hrs heavy use. By doing just those 2 things.

Upvote 0
SystemPanel may have found the issue (and unfortunately it does look like K-9). While K-9 was running I was seeing constant network activity. I'm 'guessing' this was because I had push email enabled. As soon as I killed K-9 network activity dropped to zero. I then reconfigured K-9 for a 5 minute poll. I'm going to have to leave the phone charging for a while (I was down to critical) but then I'll be able to see if that was the issue.

If K-9 is the issue, I'll be a bit disappointed, but I'll test out the native HTC mail app. I was only looking at K-9 for the push email.

Upvote 0
Unfornately we don't have exchange so I can only access email via POP or IMAP. I know that I will get mail faster with IMAP IDLE and I was led to believe tha tIDLE would be less of a power drain but that appears to be false.

Tomorrow I'll play with the native HTC app vs K-9. There is also a fork of K-9 but I'm guessing all IMAP IDLE apps will suffer the same fate.

Upvote 0
OK, it definately appears to have been K-9 with IMAP IDLE. Right now (with K-9 running POP polls every 5 minutes) I'm at 80% btter with 9h 11m 22s uptime and 1H 10m 40s of awake time. The rest of the stats seem much more normal:

Cell standby 46%
Phone idle 46%
Android System 6%
Display 2%

I'll be contacting the K-9 team to see if this is the expected behavior or a bug. That should be interesting as the market place version is well behind their current release. It's a big hard, however, to tell from their web site if the 'current releases' are actually releases, RC's or beta's.

Upvote 0
OK, so I'm making a little progress. I'm using Advanced Task Killer to go through and kill apps 1 by 1 and see if I start to see any separation between Up and Awake.

I found the problem was the stock Calendar App. As soon as I killed this the phone would actually go to sleep.

Now, here is the weird part. After I killed the app, I went into the calender to reload it and the phone still goes to sleep with the app running? I need to play around with this some more but I'm making progress.

Upvote 0
Calendar was my issue as well. Just removing the widget did nothing, and neither did using airplane mode and using the power control widget to turn off syncing. However, when I used Astro File Manager to kill the calendar process, my awake time and up time are now different.

I will need to do further testing to see what, if anything, can be done to allow calendar to sync without keeping the device up.

Upvote 0
"put to sleep" is that where the phone stays on but the display darkens? So, you can actually see your screen, it's just the light is off.

Or is it where the entire phone goes dark, like if you press the power button to force it to standby?

If the latter, how do you get the screen to turn off but keep the phone awake? All I can find is the standby timer and that kills the screen forces it to standby

Upvote 0
"put to sleep" is that where the phone stays on but the display darkens? So, you can actually see your screen, it's just the light is off.

Or is it where the entire phone goes dark, like if you press the power button to force it to standby?

If the latter, how do you get the screen to turn off but keep the phone awake? All I can find is the standby timer and that kills the screen forces it to standby

Asleep is when the phone is completely black and you need to press the power button to wake it back up. If you just press the power button while using your phone, it will put it in sleep mode.

Upvote 0
I downloaded Spare Parts and tryed to find out what was keeping my phone awake. So i rebooted and this is what I got since last boot.

UID 10114 8m51s

Awake time 10m 23s

What is UID?

Unique IDentifier. All programs/apps/services have one, just most have a name also that displays instead. Theres a couple obviously that don't. As for that particular one, not a clue...but I would try not to mess with the ones without a name until you are sure that's the cause of any problems.

Upvote 0
I had Up Time = Awake Time
I think the problem is fixed with a hard reset.
When I did this the phone forces a reactivation and it also updates firmware and/or OS software.
The phone will now sleep.

Now my problem is that the News Feed from Facebook reports an error, but that is for another thread and a problem with Facebook not my phone, I believe.

Upvote 0
Well verizon's tech support was very helpful ;-) I got 2 suggestions:

- Install Advanced Task Killer
- Keep the phone on the charger

My up time is aproximately my awake time. As I said in my original topic, it simply won't sleep. Right now I'm at 50% battery with 2 hours of Up time (I powered down just after 100% charge so I get times as of the full charge). I'm going to go ahead and un-install K-9 as that is the last custon app installed. It's going to make the phone pretty useless to me (I need the IMAP IDLE mail) but at least I'll know if that is the problem.

In another thread a k-9 user reported that it was indeed the IMAP IDLE mail that is keeping the phone from sleeping. THere was talk of contacting the Dev for them to work on an update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones