• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
In the next few months I will be getting a tablet. Whatever tablet I will be getting, it will be totally useless I can write on it.

I understand there are three solutions to this problem:
1) A capacitive stylus, but frankly these all suck unless you like crayons.
2) A resistive screen, but they are getting harder to find. My understanding is that resistive screens have a shorter life because of warp. Does any know how much shorter?
3) Digitizer pens. I've seen a few of these tablets, mostly what I call "Windows monstrosities"-highend windows laptops pretending to be tablets with a serious Intel processor, 4+G Ram, 128+G SSDD with a heavy price tag to match. The other I've seen is the Lenovo Thinkpad tablet ( more reasonably priced ).

My understanding of digitizers is that they use the same kind of technologies as graphics tablets. I think there were three different technologies, but they all relied on the same thing, some sort of interaction between the pen and the writing surface. Which would mean that you couldn't just buy a digitizer and use it on any tablet. The tablet would have to be designed to work with that pen. Though you might be able top use brand C pen with Brand A tablet, but not with Brand B tablet. So you could get a choice of different pens.

Is my understanding of the writablity situation acurate?
Do you know any other solutions in the pipe?
Do you know any other new tablets with digitzers coming out?

Ps: I really don't care about pen choice, tghough it would be nice to know that if there is a great tablet with a 220lb pe**s shaped pen, you can find an alternate one.

I've taken a brief look at both tablets and here is what I see. The Lenovo is a bit thicker but still light enough for me tastes, my reference is hard cover book. The Lenovo also has a place to put it's pen, which the Galaxy does not have.

The other thing is that the Galaxy Note does not exist. Not only that but they recently announced that they are going to delay it's release.

But at this moment I am not looking to get a tablet. There are a lot more things that I feel need to be asked before I but. At this point I'm just trying to make a list of tablets that have a pen that does not feel like crayon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones