Xoom now listed on Amazon

1. faith4more

faith4more Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    redshift1 likes this.
  2. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Well-Known Member

I'm curious if there will be a back order or it'll be shipped right away. Nonetheless. another option.
  3. ckelly33

ckelly33 Well-Known Member

Just a friendly heads up! Available for purchase and ships in 24 hours. Just bought mine!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NNVHUC

Listed for $829 without contract, kinda sucks but it beats 9.75% sales tax in TN!
  4. parrotheadmjb

parrotheadmjb Well-Known Member

Yea but they do the same thing as wirefly, they tie you into their own 6-month smoke and mirrors discount

You don't get a discount, and get you're on contract for 6 months. That and its not eligible for Prime Shipping, so no $3.99 next day
  5. ckelly33

Prime, I understand....but what 6 month discount?? It was actually $829!
  6. parrotheadmjb

On a side note, its also available on Verizon's website.. you get free overnight shipping.
  7. parrotheadmjb

thats my point if you cancel your data plan at any point in the next 6 months, you get charged $250

If you buy it from Verizon, this is not the case

i.e. you're on a 6 month contract with Amazon basically, cancel with verizon over the next 6months, amazon nails ya with a $250 fee

they do this by claiming they're discounting it for you at checkout from $999 to $799 problem with that is...its not $999 anywhere... its $799 everywhere
  8. ckelly33

I didn't purchase any service. I found the clause in question:

"For specific answers regarding service-plan cancellations, please contact your carrier directly. Note, should you cancel your service with the carrier within 181 days, you may also be subject to an additional fee in accordance with the AmazonWireless Instant Discount Terms and Conditions."

I won't be canceling any plan, even if I return it.
  9. parrotheadmjb

Oh yea I see, you can pay $30 more and get it as "phone only". Still, verizon will overnight it to ya for free :/
  10. ckelly33

$30 more vs. sales tax on $800 in TN ($80). I saved $50 and get it a day later. I can live with that!

Thanks though for the heads up on the 6 month deal. I'll be staying away on anything with a contract.
  11. MX_1

MX_1 Member

My plan was to buy it with month to month service and maybe cancel it later or keep it, depending on how I would be using it. But I don't think it is fair to be charged a $250 fine by Amazon when I cancel a month to month contract, so I ended up buying it without Verizon service for $829.

It's not a month to month contract when you still have to pay a fee to cancel after a few months. I don't know how they can legally get away with something like this. It nearly seems like they are preying on people that don't read the fine print. In my case their greed ruined a deal for Verizon. At the time I bought it I did not know that Verizon is also selling them online.
  12. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Well-Known Member

You could cancel and then go through Verizon or is it too late for that?
  13. MX_1

MX_1 Member

Amazon doesn't charge sales tax but Verizon does. So even if I end up activating it on my own later it is cheaper through Amazon. But I still hate Amazon for using such shady sales tactics.

They say by keeping the account active for 181 days they are passing along an instant discount. And you have to pay $250 if you cancel earlier. But at the same time they sell the device without contract (and therefore without the discount) for only $30 more. So the discount you get is only $30 and the fine for canceling earlier is $250. That is not fair.
  14. Wirefly

Wirefly Well-Known Member

Just wanted to clarify some things about purchasing the XOOM from us for you.

We are offering 2 Different rate plan options for the XOOM tablet.

Option 1: If you choose the month to month plan, you will pay $799.99 for the Xoom, but you will NOT be required to maintain the monthly service for the 181-day minimum or be liable for any fees from us for changing the plan prior to 181-days.

Option 2: If you choose the 2 year rate plan, we are selling the XOOM for $599.99, but you will be required to maintain the service contract for a minimum of 181 days.

Both options are available on our storefront now.

I hope that this helps to clarify any questions you all have about our deals on the XOOM. If there is anything else that I can do to help, or you have other questions I can answer, please feel free to PM me. :)
  15. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why Amazons price for the xoom off contract is 829.99.
  16. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

So it is a 30.00 fine for not getting service.
  17. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Well-Known Member

18. s.hasan546

s.hasan546 Member

Wirefly and amazon are crooks when it comes to contracts. They supposedly say they are "Passing along" a discount, so if you cancel you have to pay them $XXX. Which is BULLSHIT. IF you buy it for the same price from a verizon store and cancel within the first 6 months you only pay the ETF, NOT an ADDITIONAL FEE, which is what Wirefly, Letstalk; etc charge.

If you want a XOOM or frankly any phone either go into a Verizon Store or Bestbuy. Either one does not make you agree to a secondary contract.
  19. Dizzy99

Dizzy99 Member

I ordered the Xoom WiFi for my wife. Amazing, I was going to get the ipad 2 for my wife but the delays in that led me to do some research on both sites like this and mac sites. Thanks for the feedback on this site. I think most general media really made the Xoom sound like a weak also-ran vs the iPad 2 but I have to say, to me it looks like the real deal across the board (I own EVO and wife has iphone so exposed to both android and ios).

At any rate, pre ordered the Xoom WiFi yesterday from Amazon and just curious if anyone has any info on when these guys will likely ship the device? It hits stores on the 27th (Sunday) which is weird, would think a Fri launch would have been much better so maybe Amazon gets/has the product in house now and will start getting it out so we get it by Monday/Tues next week?
  20. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip about the discussion at the bottom. I just read all of that, and it was kinda funny to see semi-paranoia set in! I'm very IMpatiently waiting for my wifi model to come in!
  21. llescaflownell

llescaflownell Well-Known Member

Same here! I have exams just around the corner, and all I can think about is getting my Xoom and using it! ARGH!!!! Here's hoping Amazon can get these shipped out on Friday...
  22. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Well-Known Member

Anyone cancel their order based on the Samsung G-Tab announcement?
  23. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

Definitely not. I considered it but I do worry about their updates, and an OS like honeycomb, being new, is going to need updates. There is also the question of whether it will really be released in June.
    kennychaffin likes this.
  24. llescaflownell

I almost cancelled, then I saw it was Samsung, and that it will have Touchwiz. Those two reasons were why I'm still sticking with Xoom. Xoom will have updates much faster than any other tablet coming out, and like NCTurner said, a "baby" OS like Honeycomb will need constant updates.

The great thing about the Xoom is that it will only get better, and at a faster rate than any other Honeycomb tablet coming out.
  25. llescaflownell

Haha, yeah, I kinda wrote that wrong. Being that the Xoom is like the Nexus of tablets, it will get updates faster than any other tablets running honeycomb. Thus, it will be better than future tablets coming out, OS-wise.

Does that make sense? Or am I butchering the explanation again lol