• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Preach2k

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
North Carolina
attachment.php

This is one of the Best Car Docks I have seen for the Galaxy Note 3...

Drive safe and legal by keeping the Galaxy S4, S3, Note 3, or Note 2 in an easy to view position. The 3-piece active car-dock works with Samsung Smartphones from Galaxy SIII up to a Note II with Otterbox Defender case (66-90 mm range). With high quality rubber over-molds, and a dual spring-loaded metal latch, the phone sits firmly in the Dock. The open design also ensures the volume and power buttons are accessible. Protective cases or extended batteries can be used with the xProDock thanks to the spring-loaded latch and extendable feet.

The ChargingArm, with the 9ft "Dock'n Play" cable launches "DockMode" in Galaxy phones. This allows the iBOLT's Dock'n Drive App (free download) to be used as the "home screen". The long cable also allows placement on the left or right side of the steering wheel.

The aux-out feature makes it possible to play all media sound through the car-stereo speakers, including Apps like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn etc., and GPS navigation for vehicles equipped with a standard 3.5 "aux-in" input.

NOTE: phone calls not routed to car-speakers due to Samsung firmware limitations. Also note that some vehicles may require a low cost ground loop isolator for static free aux-in sound. A Bluetooth hands-free device is therefore recommended when using the xProDock.

With so many hardware and App (Dock'n Drive) functions, we recommend watching YouTube videos for this product. They are found on the iboltproducts YouTube channel.

The ROK II suction Mount features a disc with an adhesive bottom, making it possible to attach directly to any windshield or hard surface on the dashboard. For soft dashboard surfaces, a separate disc is included. The ROK II provides a virtually vibration free driving experience, ideal when capturing HD video while driving. The 17 mm industry standard ball joint used with the mount makes it compatible with alternative mounting solutions like ProClip, KUDA, pedestal bases and AMPS plate, etc.
iBolt.co - Stay connected with your world.

I'm taking mine back. The charging arm is stiff as a board; it takes me forever to get the damn thing in the phone, and I worry about the stress that it puts on the phone's port. I also hate the spring loaded top. I use a Garmin bean bag for the base; to get my phone in I have to pull the bag off the dash and use both hands, and I almost always wind up sitting the phone on its volume buttons. I was spoiled by the dock for my LTEvo, just drop it in, pop the retaining arm down, and go. Even my old school Garmin GPS could be put in with just one hand.

Upvote 0
I'm taking mine back. The charging arm is stiff as a board; it takes me forever to get the damn thing in the phone, and I worry about the stress that it puts on the phone's port. I also hate the spring loaded top. I use a Garmin bean bag for the base; to get my phone in I have to pull the bag off the dash and use both hands, and I almost always wind up sitting the phone on its volume buttons. I was spoiled by the dock for my LTEvo, just drop it in, pop the retaining arm down, and go. Even my old school Garmin GPS could be put in with just one hand.
I have the exact same setup with the Garmin bean bag friction mount and iBolt xPro dock (but with a Note 2 and Otterbox Commuter case). I also found the charge arm too stiff, so I got rid of it and fed a regular charge cable through. I tried the split audio/charge cable, but that didn't charge the phone for some reason. Using a regular wire did, so maybe got a lemon of a cable. Not complaining as iBolt sent me the cable free of charge when it didn't come with the dock.

You are correct in that it requires both hands to get it into the dock. But for me, I just grip the back of the dock and then using the Note, push the loaded top all the way out, slide it into place and drop it in. When removing it, I do the same thing. Push it up and take it out. Since it's in a Commuter case, I don't have any worries about using this method to load it in.

Upvote 0
I have this dock and used it with my Note 2. The case on my Note 2 would not allow for the volume to be pressed by the mount since the case had a cut out for the volume. It is tricky to get the Note 3 in the dock properly without it hitting the button. I still like the mount, even with the stiff charging cable. On my dock the cable has become more pliable over time, probably from the heat of the sun. But new, it is extremely stiff.

Upvote 0
For those finding the xProDock latch too rigid, I fixed it by removing one of the two springs. I can't post links yet, but there's a youtube video showing the process. It makes a world of difference! After this process, you can easily insert and remove one handed.

On YouTube, it's titled "xProDock latch - 50% less force demo video" posted by Mikael Petersson

And I put the Note in the dock with the top to the right so the charging plug is on the left. I think most of us are accustomed to tilting the phone the other way. Now the support arms don't interfere with any of the buttons. You can reverse the cord placements on the back of the dock easily.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones