xvid & mkv support?

Last Updated:

1. SuperPhly

SuperPhly New Member This Topic's Starter

Will the EVO support these formats in 720p?

Advertisement
  2. kimrari

kimrari Member

At the moment any answer would be speculation. After the release party on Wednesday, we should have far more concrete details. Speaking generally, MKV is just a "container" which could contain any number of codecs. Xvid is not natively supported within Android, and a request has been submitted to Google:

Issue 6561 - android - Divx And Xvid Support - Project Hosting on Google Code

However, a temporary solution would be to install a media player from the Market which supports the codecs you intend to use. I hope this post has been helpful.

3. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

um as of now there arnt any

4. Android 17

Android 17 Well-Known Member

I hope it supports MKV's soon, or rather do some players already support it? With such a large screen, it'd be nice to be able to watch even subtitled stuff.

5. travisr528

travisr528 Well-Known Member

I don't think that matters to much since the screen is WVGA (800x480). You will not be able to view it on your phone in 720p format. But I guess you could use the hdmi cord but there are better ways to do it.

6. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Xvid is an mpeg4 codec but I don't know what will work natively aside from the h.264 codec as far as mpeg4 video. Worst case scenario you have to put together or download a preset for your transcoder of choice and do a little re-coding.

7. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

well i shouldnt say there isnt a player there is one but its only out in mandarin atm. so it needs translated. theres more info about it on xda but ic ant remember where on there site

8. reallynotnick

reallynotnick Well-Known Member

Better yet don't re-encode it, just put it into a different wrapper. I have programs that can take the H.264 video from an MKV file and put it in a standard mpeg4 file, it then just re-encodes the audio from either Dolby or DTS to AAC as standard Mpeg4 doesn't do either. The video remains untouched so no loss of quality and it is VERY fast.

I use MKVtools on my Mac, I am sure there is something just like it on Windows and most likely Linux too.

neodorian likes this.
  9. FaberfoX

FaberfoX New Member