• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your browser influences what you pay online.

That reminds of the thread came up a few months ago here in the Lounge. Young man didn't get a job because he had an iPhone.
Chinese student fails job interview because of iPhone ? The Register

"Students who have iPhones don’t work. Everything you have was bought by your parents. You haven’t bought anything by working yourself."

Of course this is China, and things like that can happen here.

Thats a nonsense, but qualifying for a job mostly depends on how well you are prepared for the interview. It's a circus that might disqualify the applicant just for not sending the follow up letter.

Anyway coming back to the post. Whatever big corporations are doing getting us close to situations described in books such as "1984" or "The Giver" You do not want to give total control of your life to someone.

Upvote 0
did you even read the article? if you are using safari browser, you might pay more at certain sites. Its like going ti a restaurant and getting a menu with higher prices than the rest of the tables.

I did and I looked at several patents. Google is a big player in this variable pricing; they hold a patent on at least one such strategy. The idea is nothing new as the patent files will attest.

Upvote 0
What?

Let me get this straight, sites are detecting your browser and changing the price accordingly?

No question really, that should be illegal.

That is part of it. As I have said, there are patents covering variable pricing.

Patent US5822736 - Variable margin pricing system - Google Patents

Patent US5987425 - Variable margin pricing system - Google Patents

You should read the citations and references and see how this evolved. the solution is simple: shop around and find the best price.

Upvote 0
How about a form of Linux and FX?

I happen to use an XP laptop, but I'm doing my damndest to keep that POS IE from even running. I use FX ESR, Opera, and Iron. I also use Startpage and Duck Duck go as search engines.

There are still ways of searching for prices. Ebay sellers, Amazon, etc. See what the fair trade is for a camera by checking one of the reputable online sellers. Then find the deal. Check that dealer out. Amazon does post lists of prices from various sellers.

Upvote 0
That is part of it. As I have said, there are patents covering variable pricing.

You should read the citations and references and see how this evolved. the solution is simple: shop around and find the best price.

why do you think if it exist and its patented, its fine? Yes, people shop around, but its not right, certain things should be controlled by the government. You do not want to overpower big corporations.
I shopped around for a car insurance few months back, and I tried to negotiate the quote. I was told that price was final and they do not negotiate the price because its prohibited by law.
There are things here and there, but Id be really pissed to get higher prices at my favorite sites just because I use coupons all the time.

Black Friday is already a myth, you can get much better deals year round, next thing to become a myth is "shop around" because what they are doing is trying to put an end to, and no matter how many stores you visit, you are going to pay the primium price.

Upvote 0
user-agents are fun:
xkcd: Umwelt

depending on your browser, you see a different comic. :)

Must be IP plays into this gag as well, it detected I'm on a Verizon connection. :D Very clever.

As far as this goes, I'm pretty indifferent. I imagine it is similar if you went into a pawn shop. If you were buying something that the seller should sell for anything from 1x to 3x, and you walked in dressed very well, flashing expensive products, you would be far more likely to pay 3x to 4x.

It's this practice applied to the internet.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if some business people will lobby for a law that will make faking your browser or other information illegal. I'm sure if there is money involved, people dealing with it will find some way to make sure consumers can't cheat their way to lower prices. There seems to be a push over the years to ensure your identity online is authentic. Google+ and many other sites are enforcing users to use their real identity instead of a pseudonym which is has been more or less the norm since back in the BBS days.

This topic also reminds me of some automated vending machines. There was a story on them that revealed these automated vending machines can automatically raise the price of cold drinks when the weather gets hotter.

Upvote 0

I could care less if Google or anyone else is in on this, it's still wrong. Shopping around is one thing, but now you're supposed to use multiple browsers to find a fair deal? Ridiculous.

Upvote 0
the solution is simple: shop around and find the best price.

But I think the point is that different people will find different prices when they shop around. You might shop around but all the prices you find will be higher than the guy who shops around using a different browser. You will never find the cheapest prices, just the best available for your browser, or your skin colour.

Upvote 0
Something like this should not be illegal. This can be used for partnerships with certain browser developers. It is a very useful tool in marketing! However much the customer may not like it, what are customers going to do? Boycott the internet? No, I think not! They will just use the browser that gets the lowest prices.

In the browser market now-a-days, the browser doesn't mean too much. The main reason I use Firefox is because my keyboard screws up in chrome, and the only reason I'd use chrome is because it matches my google fanboyism. The browsers these days are generally all similarly sophisticated, and not really in need as an important choice. This tactic can give your choice meaning.

I am all for equallity between browsers and innovation and open source. However, without some sort of competition and a common agreement that "no matter the browser" applies, innovation stops. No need to go further. The competition brings users better prices accross the board, each browser having healthy competition with eachother to bring the best deals to its customers can be a very good reason to choose a browser.

So no this should not be illegal, it drives innovation, drives competition, and brings better prices to customers. Why would anyone want this illegal? We could all do with saving a penny.

Upvote 0
I am all for equallity between browsers and innovation and open source. However, without some sort of competition and a common agreement that "no matter the browser" applies, innovation stops. No need to go further. The competition brings users better prices accross the board, each browser having healthy competition with eachother to bring the best deals to its customers can be a very good reason to choose a browser.

So no this should not be illegal, it drives innovation, drives competition, and brings better prices to customers. Why would anyone want this illegal? We could all do with saving a penny.

I disagree because the prejudice that allows an online retailer to charge the user of one browser less is not a feature of that browser that can be consciously improved and maintained by the browser's developer, such as speed, flexibility of plugins, etc. Likewise the developer of a victimized browser, such as Safari, can do nothing to stop that unfair price adjustment for the users of their browser.

How is that competition and innovation in browser technology? The only difference that concerns the retailer is the browser's identity, and not any aspect of the technology, which is the only realm of innovation available for the browser developer.

It is not within the power of the browser developer to "bring the best deals to its customers" if they are being priced out of the competition by the code of the retailers' websites, short of faking the browser's ID.

Upvote 0
But I think the point is that different people will find different prices when they shop around. You might shop around but all the prices you find will be higher than the guy who shops around using a different browser. You will never find the cheapest prices, just the best available for your browser, or your skin colour.

It is disgraceful. Just because someone is using a mac, or owns something else that is deemed 'expensive', does not mean that person is rich. They might have actually worked hard, saved for their purchase, won the lottery, or stolen it :D :rolleyes: lol. They might be having a bad user experience with said items, & may go back to being a peasant :D :rolleyes: lol. Furthermore, a lot of wealthy people have got to where they are, by being CHEAP!

I think this is one of many examples why the world economy is borkened. Business people trying to price customers out! A false economy. People aren't idiots, they vote with their feet. The only way to grow a business is to attract EVERYONE. Quantity of customers will always win over greed.

Businesses who pitch their prices too high will have employees standing about looking bored, & no customers. Eventually they will go bankrupt.

Upvote 0
I really liked the part about dropping something from your amazon cart to get a lower price. To me these are the same things that happen in stores all over the country.

And I'll admit, my first thought was "how long until we have a plugin that scans the price under each user agent".... and it sounds like very similar plug ins exist.

It's sneaky and maybe a bit underhanded, but so is the majority of the internet.

Upvote 0
They might have actually worked hard, saved for their purchase, won the lottery, or stolen it

A very valid argument, and you had me up until that last bit. :)

Furthermore, a lot of wealthy people have got to where they are, by being CHEAP!

I think you mean frugal. :rolleyes:

I'm very frugal in how I do my spending. I hate parting with my cash, and will normally research an item and look for the best price until my eyes bleed. Of course it also depends on the vendor. Sometimes Id rather give that little bit extra to my favorite vendor. ;)

Upvote 0
While riding a motor bike through Thailand, the more touristy towns had different gas pricing for "Farung" or westerners. I actually had station attendants run out and stop me from pumping, put the handle back, hit a buttom that made the price double, then hand the pump handle back to me, with a smile.
I could've argued, but the cost to me was trivial then.
I wont stand for that here in the States though. If I find you're price-gouging me based on my race, or what kind of credit card or browser I'm using, I'm going to raise my fist and shake it.
I might even whine a bit.

Upvote 0
Something like this should not be illegal. This can be used for partnerships with certain browser developers. It is a very useful tool in marketing! However much the customer may not like it, what are customers going to do? Boycott the internet? No, I think not! They will just use the browser that gets the lowest prices.

But is it the browser or is it something else? I read the piece and I am not sure it is accurate; I am not sure it is inaccurate, either. Perhaps it has more to do with Google (or others) with patented technology that varies the prices based on other factors like your history.

I will admit that I do not know either way. I have researched Google's patents to some extent and they are based on prior work via references and citations mentioned in the patent. So there are several players in the variable pricing game

Anyone know for sure if it is the browser or something else? Perhaps a combination of several things.

I certainly would never changes prices based upon the browser my magic software detects. Too many browsers and a wealthy are likely to use any of the popular browsers and the poor could be using Safari.

Based upon the sites I visit, the software would report I am rich one day and broke the next. Today I will search for expensive bike parts, nice cigars and homeless resources. I'll drive them nuts because I am using Opera on one machine and Safari on another as I look for vacations with cheapo air travel and "costly" hotel rooms.

Upvote 0
But is it the browser or is it something else? I read the piece and I am not sure it is accurate; I am not sure it is inaccurate, either. Perhaps it has more to do with Google (or others) with patented technology that varies the prices based on other factors like your history.

I will admit that I do not know either way. I have researched Google's patents to some extent and they are based on prior work via references and citations mentioned in the patent. So there are several players in the variable pricing game

Anyone know for sure if it is the browser or something else? Perhaps a combination of several things.

I certainly would never changes prices based upon the browser my magic software detects. Too many browsers and a wealthy are likely to use any of the popular browsers and the poor could be using Safari.

Based upon the sites I visit, the software would report I am rich one day and broke the next. Today I will search for expensive bike parts, nice cigars and homeless resources. I'll drive them nuts because I am using Opera on one machine and Safari on another as I look for vacations with cheapo air travel and "costly" hotel rooms.

According to one of the articles I was reading, some of it is based on your geolocation. For example, area A is a fairly upper-class area, and if those who live there shop online they'll get much higher prices than those who would be shopping with a geolocation from area B where they are lower income. Area A would get price gouged, whereas area B would have the lower prices.

Websites Vary Prices, Deals Based on Users' Information - WSJ.com

Upvote 0
I'm very frugal

I'm tight as duck's arse.

I hate parting with my cash, and will normally research an item and look for the best price until my eyes bleed

Ditto.

Of course it also depends on the vendor. Sometimes Id rather give that little bit extra to my favorite vendor. ;)

My favourite vendor usually has the lowest prices :)

According to one of the articles I was reading, some of it is based on your geolocation

Really?!

How do I fake my location? How do they know my location?!

Upvote 0
here is the bottom line: in free entreprise, the buyer can always say no and walk away if you think the price is too high . In the past i went to car dealers and the minute i heard the words " deal is only good if you buy today" i left. I tell saleman that he isn' t paying, i am. So i decide when and how much to pay. Unless i am sure it is good deal after checking and also shopping around, i am not buying.

Upvote 0
here is the bottom line: in free entreprise, the buyer can always say no and walk away if you think the price is too high . In the past i went to car dealers and the minute i heard the words " deal is only good if you buy today" i left. I tell saleman that he isn' t paying, i am. So i decide when and how much to pay. Unless i am sure it is good deal after checking and also shopping around, i am not buying.

Perhaps you are correct. I know where to get the best prices for what I buy. I know how to find the bargains, but I do not worry about a few dollars saved and I do not spend the day looking for the best price unless the savings are potentially substantial.

Upvote 0
here is the bottom line: in free entreprise, the buyer can always say no and walk away if you think the price is too high

True enough, I guess.

It is a tax on the non-technical, though. And the hard of thinking.

In the past i went to car dealers and the minute i heard the words " deal is only good if you buy today" i left. I tell saleman that he isn' t paying, i am. So i decide when and how much to pay. Unless i am sure it is good deal after checking and also shopping around, i am not buying.

That's all well and good, the issue here though is that your shopping around could be influenced by the browser you use: you would never actually see the best deals available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones