• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your thoughts/expectations of the HTC One (was the M7)

Well they had at least a few here in the KC area. My local store has the display ONE and I asked about if they would have both silver and black they said I'd have to order the black but yes it was available to ATT then she said they one they got was silver but it sold first day????

I am calling around right now. Ya know just in case another store has one or two. ;)

Well anyone in the KC area that wants one .... ATT in Westport has at least one. But call first to confirm. It's silver FYI.

Upvote 0
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Well it's been a few months now since I first set my sights on the HTC ONE and pretty much penciled it in as my next Android device. The only real negative that I was really worried about was the fact of me coming over from stock android the last 6 months or so with my nexus 4 and having to deal with sense. Other then that I really thought that the ONE was going to really impress me with it's looks as well as build quality.

Well I finally waltzed into at&t this morning ready to burn my upgrade and have me some fun this weekend getting to know my next daily driver. Only problem is that I wasn't impressed, and actually left the store pretty depressed...With no ONE in my hands by the way! Heres why???

Wow HTC, I really thought you hit the nail on the head with this phone, I couldn't believe how many reviewers were basically stamping this phone as the absolute best feeling phone to date as far as build quality goes...That was then, this is now. And after playing around with the demo, as well as using the Manager of the stores phone as well, I just couldn't believe this phone was getting stamped as such a superior built device?

Both the demo as well as the Mgr's phone had pretty bad gaps on the bottom part of the phone, pretty interesting that this should be present on a GAPLESS phone right? Well it was there and by no means a non issue, I could basically stick my nail in the demo. To add to that, the very top of the phone felt pretty jagged, and not flush at all. It looked like the plastic material just wasn't laser cut properly, both the top and side of the phone had this issue and it was present on both phones. Next up was the fact that the volume rocker on the Mgr's phone was just extremely off centered and hardly even registered when pushing up and down.

Listen some my write these issues off as non events and not care, I happen to care and take the build quality issue of a phone seriously. I like to keep my phones looking and feeling new, and when stuff like this is present out of the box it bothers me.

Anyway my cousin just got his a few days ago and when I asked him to take a look at the bottom of his phone he noticed the gap as well, and also said he was some jaggedness near the top of his phone as well. Either was I have to say I'm a little let down and will be taking a step back from joining in on the HTC ONE train for now. maybe if these issues get adressed with the next batch I'll reconsider.

Upvote 0
Mine is less than paper thin

I said the same thing when I got the HTC EVO a few years back because of some screen gap on the unit, then within a few weeks the screen just kept lifting until I was basically able to fit a quarter in there. Stuff like this starts out very small and before you know it turns into a BIG problem.

I hope HTC fixes this issue, otherwise I'll just sit idle for a while...
Just very annoying that we waited so long for this phone and then it ships with issues like this.

Some videos zeroing in on the issues

HTC ONE Build Quality Issues *You having any???* - YouTube

HTC One gap - YouTube

Yup even Chris spoke about it in his Phandroid ONE review...

HTC One Review and Full Walkthrough - YouTube

Upvote 0
I wouldn't give up so easily, both my phone and LoyalServant's come from the same batch from AT&T and are in perfect condition. I think a lot of the stuff your referring to was the early demo models that they sent out to reviewers. And it seems the store you went to had the same issue. did he actually open a box and show you a "New" phone ?

Or maybe LoyalServant is right and we just got lucky.. who's to say

Upvote 0
I will update this when I get mine on and let you know how mine is.

I will say though I would love to get the Nexus 4 though, I will probably purchase the next Nexus device since I'm back on AT&T.

With that said I played with the HTC One in an AT&T store in the mall today and didn't notice the gap at the bottom. Seemed like a pretty solid device.

Upvote 0
Seriously, wait a few weeks until they have production issues worked out.

The first run devices almost always have some small issues that get worked out in the weeks after release...

It's not just HTC, this happens with Samsung, Asus, Motorola, ect.

Did you notice the>>>For now statement in my title? ; )

These are the type of thing people who have no gaps need to post in, so if it's not widespread we know. I have no gaps.

Wide spread? Maybe? Chris Chavez of Phandroid had it on his at&t unit. My cousin is in NJ and has it on his unit, and here in NYC I saw it with my own eyes on a fresh out of the box demo that the Mgr of the store just set up, as well as on his personal device.

I think it could be fairly wide spread IMO on American branded models as HTC did indeed rush this device to market because of production issues, and it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility that these build quality issues may only exist on the first batch of the phones here in the U.S.>>> Which I hope is the case!

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Seriously, wait a few weeks until they have production issues worked out.

The first run devices almost always have some small issues that get worked out in the weeks after release...

It's not just HTC, this happens with Samsung, Asus, Motorola, ect.

I would think the issues, for the most part,have been addressed.Remember,this phone has been out a month before it even landed on this side of the pond......

Upvote 0
Wide spread? Maybe? Chris Chavez of Phandroid had it on his at&t unit. My cousin is in NJ and has it on his unit, and here in NYC I saw it with my own eyes on a fresh out of the box demo that the Mgr of the store just set up, as well as on his personal device.

I think it could be fairly wide spread IMO on American branded models as HTC did indeed rush this device to market because of production issues, and it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility that these build quality issues may only exist on the first batch of the phones here in the U.S.>>> Which I hope is the case!

I'm just saying that people complain about issues like this and people who don't have the issues tend to move on without posting. This very well could be a large issue.

To be honest, the videos I looked I could barely tell there was a gap, but being a new expensive phone it shouldn't have these issues period. I even put on my reading glasses and double-checked mine to make sure because I started getting paranoid lol.

Mine is the 64GB model from ATT BTW.

Upvote 0
I see a lot of reports of things like this. No matter which phone you buy..HTC One, S4, iPhone or whatever...the risk is there that you may get one that has a flaw or many flaws. That's the reason for exchanging or returning them. And if you return it, who's to say that the new phone you get won't have any issues.

I know we all pay the big bucks to have the best phone and expect everything to work flawless, but stuff happens.

I'm sure people that buy the next big phone..whether it be the S4 or iPhone 5s, will be going over it with a fine tooth comb...to find any little issue they can find...and it'll be another thread just like this one .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones