• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Youtube App playing videos "Glitched"

Andre Pires

Lurker
Aug 16, 2019
There's a problem with playing videos is YouTube app and on chrome youtube website. Some videos playing ok and normally with all resolutions, but the most of them plays, glitched.
I ve done all resets with the device, normal reset, hard reset. I ve installed another file of installation of android (version 8.0) from Odin, and the problem wasn't solved.
Recently I realized that's should be a problem with some native codecs H264 of android, because I ve installed Mozilla Firefox and put the H264fy codec at Add-ons and Youtube is working normally on this browser, I tested playing with VLC player and works fine too.
I would like to know, about the folder that contains the native codecs of android and how to replace them, or if I need make Root on my S7 to access it??

If the Youtube app and using a browser app are both having the same problem, it doesn't sound like a codec issue - it's being accessed via HTML5 and support things like h.264 (video) and mp3 (audio) involve already included, native hardware decoding - but perhaps a bandwidth connectivity issue. Is this problem happening when connected to a particular WiFi network, or any WiFi network? Is it also happening when using mobile data (cellular)?

Reactions: Andre Pires
Upvote 0
If the Youtube app and using a browser app are both having the same problem, it doesn't sound like a codec issue - it's being accessed via HTML5 and support things like h.264 (video) and mp3 (audio) involve already included, native hardware decoding - but perhaps a bandwidth connectivity issue. Is this problem happening when connected to a particular WiFi network, or any WiFi network? Is it also happening when using mobile data (cellular)?

The problems happens, all kind of connections, wifi, mobile data etc. This is strange because on firefox (with add-on H264fy) and VLC player, all videos from YouTube works fine.
Recently I enable stats for nerds and realized that the problem occurs when video (on youtube app) is webm, when format video is MP4 (on youtube app) it plays ok.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I Just uploaded on Youtube a screen capture, using and 'trying' to watch videos from Youtube app and after with VLC and Mozilla. I disable and enable the add-on at Mozilla just for seen the problem.
There,s a video too that plays fine on app.
Sorry I didn't say anything on screen capture, because my English is bad Haha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones