• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Youtube seems slow and choppy

Chuck1906

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2009
Anyone notice how slow and choppy some of the videos are on youtube when watching on your Droid? I don't know if it has to do with the content being shot in HD and our phones can't handle that or what. I got the "Sorry this video cannot be played" message on about 7 videos today! What happened to having the choice to select play in High Quality? I got so annoyed today when I was trying to watch some videos and it either kept stopping and never started again or it kept playing and stopping and playing and stopping!

I had good signal strength and Wi-Fi was not turned on. Some videos did play with no problem.

I have also complained about this. I have freed up all the memory I can, used cache cleaner, restarted my phone just before trying again... You name it, I've tried it. I have compared mine to other droids and it the ones I have compared it to have all done the same thing. I have compared to the iphone and unfortunately, it doesn't have the same problem. I also compared it to my friends G1 on T-Mobile. His phone is much slower than mine and he doesn't have the same problems I do. It has something to do with the droid and or verizon 3G, but I can't figure it out. It is really frustrating. I now just tell people my phone doesn't do youtube on 3G, I have to be on wifi.

Upvote 0
I believe it is due to the fact that the video hasn't been optimized for mobile. I don't entirely know what that means but I get that message when I watch youtube. I have to pull up the youtube app and the videos are smoother but horrible resolution.

Atleast for youtube it looks like they have videos coded for their mobile phone apps and videos that aren't. I tried watching one of Ken Block's Gymkana videos through the mobile app and it straight out told me not available for mobile and wouldn't even let me view it.

Flash has been just average since they rolled it out. I still keep skyfire installed in case i hit one of those "not optimized for mobile" messages. Problem is skyfire isn't compatible with all websites.

@tjreishus- when you switch to wifi does that really help with the choppiness?

Upvote 0
Over 3G the best speed I've seen using speedtest is a little over 1mb down where I'm at, which no doubt chokes up the app... with wifi chances are you will see much better speeds than 3G (in my case my home internet is 12-14mb/s). Never experienced any chop or issues viewing vids normal or HD over wifi, and I'd go out on a limb and say this wouldn't be a problem if our phones used 4G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones