• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root z4 Temp root not working in 2.2 FroYo

When VM first announced that they were pulling the update to fix the "bugs," I said that they were "rooting" the firmware of its good qualities, (eg, live wallpaper and wifi hotspot). That is what they did, VM took out the thigs that made FROYO great and to add insult to injury, they sealed up the "exploid" holes that z4 used to temp root it. VM must be planning to become a real cell service provider (Plan contracts) as ATT and Verizon are notorious for locking up the phones so that the customer has to pay for every function. What do we do as consumers? Get to hacking.

Upvote 0
When VM first announced that they were pulling the update to fix the "bugs," I said that they were "rooting" the firmware of its good qualities, (eg, live wallpaper and wifi hotspot). That is what they did, VM took out the thigs that made FROYO great and to add insult to injury, they sealed up the "exploid" holes that z4 used to temp root it. VM must be planning to become a real cell service provider (Plan contracts) as ATT and Verizon are notorious for locking up the phones so that the customer has to pay for every function. What do we do as consumers? Get to hacking.
I hope we can find a work-around to the root(perm) the phone because I want to overclock when needed...

Upvote 0
I was stock before I updated with baseband 06 or something so no problems with that. I used this post to help me root http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...05-how-root-new-update-2-2-a.html#post2574496

As for people that have baseband 05 aka rooted to a sprint rom. I think this link might help Virgin Mobile Froyo 2.2 StockROM, kernel, and other stuff. *Ok GO! Fixed!*

Edit: These are both for permanent root. The only reason I wanted to do temp root before is because I thought it still may have been unstable for VM users. But after flashing my stock 2.2 setup with a rooted kernel everything works fine (better). Right now I am am using the newest "CrapKernel" by Joeseph Mother and everything is great so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones