• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ZTE ZMAX Pro(Z281) low volume problem

Lurker
Feb 7, 2017
Fresh and unsophisticated meat here.

Looking for help, knowledge and wisdom. For 3 years was using LG LTE Leon, free from MPCS. Not in need of fancy device. The only things I required were decent GPS, compass and normal, loud sound to listen for directions of GPS and have phone conversation on noisy road environment. And that LG Leon was quite good on those! Recently, signed up for Mobile Checks Deposit at my bank, was sick to make almost 10 miles run to the closest branch. But, as it turned out, my very favor LG has no “Autofocus” camera, it has “Fixed focus”, so bank’s app does not support phones without “Autofocus”. Decide to go to local Metro PCS and upgrade the phone and it was time to get something fancy. There it is: ZTE ZMAX Pro Z981, 6” display and almost free for me!!! Checked on bunch of reviews and just liked it! After 7 days of use everything is just fine! But, volume is terrible!! On max, cannot hear anything, not from main speaker on the back from GPS, not from earpiece up front during phone calls! Unless, turn AC off, radio off, windows up, nobody breathing and seating on empty parking lot. Two days was late for work, did not hear alarm! It is just low, it is clear and no distortion, just, low! Started to check around. One post was saying: “See that Dolby sound app they put in? Turn it on. Go to custom. Raise all bars to max. This increases speaker output tenfold. I hated how quiet the speaker was until now. Now, I have it a third of the way because at max it wakes my neighbors up. Scary loud!” Tried that, but one of two: it was just one of those guys who consider themselves experts reading "Quick Start Guide" , or my phone has software or hardware problems, because it did not changed a thing on it, volume is still low! Although, there was just one, single response from lady, who called that guy “a HERO”, it did work for her! Tenfold!! How it this possible? Worked for one and did not work for the same phone for another? Was reading and Googling, seems to me common problem for this particular model. Now, I would like to ask you, guys. What is it and what are my choices? I read about Sound Boosters, but will they work on Marshmallow? (my has 6.0.1), none of those Boosters, and there are hundreds of them, say nothing about 6.0.1. I love the phone and willing to learn deeper, up to rooting and messing with ROM but, did not really seen a reputable source of information what needs to be changed, how to do it and if someone really did it on ZTE ZMAX Pro Z981 successfully. I know there are great amount of very smart Android tweakers, experimenting and developing and I have great respect for them!! But, myself, I can read, understand and try to implement, no creativity on my side, sorry, not everyone can. Please, any suggestions or ideas??

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones