• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 1.4.1 nook and CM7 running off mSD card

hbdj

Lurker
Dec 29, 2011
I would first like to thank everyone that has been putting in the time to help around here. I have been here reading for several days to figure out what i need to do, which hasn't been easy, and I noticed the many people helping out.

That being said I'm a bit confused by the various versions, posts dating back to the beginning of '11 and outdated information all over the web in regards to what I'm looking to do.

Basically, I want to keep my nook stock at 1.4.1 and run off the sd card for anything other that I wish to run. So far I loaded the generic image file to my sandisk class 4 16gb mSD card. Then i placed the cm encore full 253 file on the card as well as the most recent gapps file from the wiki on cm7 and put the card in my nook and fired it up.

It loaded and inflated all the files and I assume it installed the program on the sd card. Last it said was it removed the gapps file, flushed the caches, and said it was going to reboot ..... and ...... powered back on and booted perfectly into the nook color environment just like I didn't do a thing.

I could use a pointer telling where I need to go find the information to get things working right or some advice on where i went wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated...

RE: "I noticed the many people helping out."

I noticed that too. It was nice to have help here when I had to be gone with family functions over the holidays. :D

Why did you install a nightly build when stable 7.1 was available? If you're going to install to the sdcard, that would be a better choice. Generally people who install nightly builds, update often b/c they're a bit buggier. Nightly builds were pretty good prior to 7.1 stable, but usually not so good after.

Did you play with the start-up menu? That's what determines which rom you're going to boot into.

Upvote 0
Start up menu ( ummm ... no I didn't know i had to ) Where does one do that?

I just dl'ed the 7.1 stable ... i went with the nightly because the most informative post used that as their example.

Yet again there is soo much different information all over the place it is easy to get confused even your very tech savy.

Thanks again colchiro (love the avatar!)

Upvote 0
That's my Christmas avatar. Ignore the fact that the main character on it is probably, ummm.... not hetero, if you catch my drift... :D I'm considering going back to my previous one, Jack Sparrow, but haven't tired of this one yet.

Startup menu is what you get when you have a dual boot install and your sdcard is installed and it's first started.

We try to cover the popular topics here. AF is more geared to the newbie, where Rootz Wiki and XDA often assume you know stuff.

Upvote 0
well formatted the sd card then did everything the same except with the cm7.1 build and boom Im going strong with the cyanogen 7 mod... (whats that camera all about?!?) next i will add gappz on ..

is there a way to set it up to either boot to sd or emmc ( is the startup menu in the nc environment or the cm7 ?)

Upvote 0
Camera?

The startup menu is on the card so not the NC environment. Since your NC always boots off the sdcard first, it gives you a chance to boot into emmc (stock) or sdcard (CM7).

I've never dual booted but think it's similar to the one that CM7 installs where you can boot into recovery directly should it boot loop or into CM7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones