• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 1-Click Root

I'm confused, everyone says they are essentially doing this for the free wi-fi tethering right? I mean, launcherpro can hide the applications you don't want to see, and like someone said above you have plenty of on board memory.

This is what I don't get though. Why do it for the wi-fi tethering? Did you guys see the post in the Tips and Tricks about how you can tether through bluetooth to your computer for free and without rooting?

I'm all for root, I guess I just don't see the advantages for the X quite yet.

hihi,

could you please explain how launcher pro can hide my unwanted bloatware. seriously i am interseted but dont know where to go in the settings to accomplish this.

thanks!!!

Upvote 0
I'm confused, everyone says they are essentially doing this for the free wi-fi tethering right? I mean, launcherpro can hide the applications you don't want to see, and like someone said above you have plenty of on board memory.

This is what I don't get though. Why do it for the wi-fi tethering? Did you guys see the post in the Tips and Tricks about how you can tether through bluetooth to your computer for free and without rooting?

Almost all devices have wifi, not all have bluetooth...

Upvote 0
hihi,

could you please explain how launcher pro can hide my unwanted bloatware. seriously i am interseted but dont know where to go in the settings to accomplish this.

thanks!!!
Go into your LauncherPro preferences and then into General Settings. Hidden Apps lets you select which ones you don't want to see in your app drawer.

Upvote 0
Go into your LauncherPro preferences and then into General Settings. Hidden Apps lets you select which ones you don't want to see in your app drawer.

This...

I guess the above poster is right about bluetooth. We have all mac laptops and so they've all had bluetooth for the last few years so I've just gotten used to it, although until the DX didn't have nearly as cool a use for it :)

As a side note, I think the reason I am so confused about rooting is just because I'm coming from an iPhone for the last few years, so I am still just in shock about all the things I can do with Android!!

Upvote 0

One reason would be for tethering an iPad. Even though the iPad has Bluetooth, it cannot obtain an Internet connection via Bluetooth. So, to tether an iPad with the phone would require root and wifi tethering.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm very tempted.

Upvote 0
One reason would be for tethering an iPad. Even though the iPad has Bluetooth, it cannot obtain an Internet connection via Bluetooth. So, to tether an iPad with the phone would require root and wifi tethering.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm very tempted.

Tethering is built into the X by default. I think you meant to say "free tethering" :D

Upvote 0
This doesnt work at all for me. Half the time it wont even start. When it does, it gets to the point where you have to hit continue then toggle the bt setting. At that point, it goes through and at the end it says rooting failed. I tried installing all kinds of drivers and it still will not work. And after it fails, it makes my phone SUPER sluggish and jerky until I pull the battery and reboot it. I have a replacement on the way because this one has the buzzing ear piece, so Im glad I tested this on the old one. Also, Im doing this on a 64bit windows 7 machine. So for me atleast, it does not work. But for now its ok, because I cant over clock yet so who cares.

Upvote 0
Tethering is built into the X by default. I think you meant to say "free tethering" :D

Let me clarify:

If you only need Bluetooth tethering, then there is no need to root OR subscribe to Verizon's paid tethering service. You can simply use one of the apps available from the market and tether your laptop/pc.

If you need WIFI tethering (such as tethering an iPad), then you'll either need to pay for Verizon's Hotspot tethering service OR root and use WIFI Tether.

I was responding to the statement that there's really no need to root and use WIFI tethering when you can just use Bluetooth tethering without root. But this will not work with the iPad. So yes, if you want FREE wifi tethering, you'll still need to root.

Right now, I'm currently subscribed to Verizon's wifi tethering. As a new subscriber to Verizon, I wanted to try it out. And while it works well, I think $20/mo is way too much for the little bit that I'll use it. On the other hand, as a matter of principle, I'm a bit torn over whether to root and use the WIFI Tether free option. Rooting to be able to customize the phone is one thing, but rooting and using the free wifi app when it violates Verizon's TOS is pretty much the same thing as getting a cable guy to hook you up with free cable service when you're not paying for it: you may get away with it, but does that make it right?

Upvote 0
Let me clarify:

If you only need Bluetooth tethering, then there is no need to root OR subscribe to Verizon's paid tethering service. You can simply use one of the apps available from the market and tether your laptop/pc.

If you need WIFI tethering (such as tethering an iPad), then you'll either need to pay for Verizon's Hotspot tethering service OR root and use WIFI Tether.

I was responding to the statement that there's really no need to root and use WIFI tethering when you can just use Bluetooth tethering without root. But this will not work with the iPad. So yes, if you want FREE wifi tethering, you'll still need to root.

Right now, I'm currently subscribed to Verizon's wifi tethering. As a new subscriber to Verizon, I wanted to try it out. And while it works well, I think $20/mo is way too much for the little bit that I'll use it. On the other hand, as a matter of principle, I'm a bit torn over whether to root and use the WIFI Tether free option. Rooting to be able to customize the phone is one thing, but rooting and using the free wifi app when it violates Verizon's TOS is pretty much the same thing as getting a cable guy to hook you up with free cable service when you're not paying for it: you may get away with it, but does that make it right?

Let ME clarify!!!!

All carriers have DPI boxes that can tell if you are tethering against their rules! They know, and they have a semi-blind eye right now.

There will be a day when they use those DPI boxes to identify those using the "free" tethering.

BTW, my reply and your quote were only talking about wifi, not bluetooth. I could care less if a less-than-average-quality ipad has any sort of functionality.

If you root and go "free"-wifi, don't cry if VZW flips the switch and bills you more every month. The technology is there, it's just a matter of time before carriers port to their billing systems.

Upvote 0
Let ME clarify!!!!

All carriers have DPI boxes that can tell if you are tethering against their rules! They know, and they have a semi-blind eye right now.

There will be a day when they use those DPI boxes to identify those using the "free" tethering.

BTW, my reply and your quote were only talking about wifi, not bluetooth. I could care less if a less-than-average-quality ipad has any sort of functionality.

If you root and go "free"-wifi, don't cry if VZW flips the switch and bills you more every month. The technology is there, it's just a matter of time before carriers port to their billing systems.

No, I initially replied to DrJD from post #50 where he asked why anyone would want to root and use the free wifi option when they can just use the BLUETOOTH option without root. THAT was what I was replying to (check post #50 and my reply). Maybe you were thinking of someone else? I simply said that if you WERE wanting to tether to an iPad, you could not use the Bluetooth option: you would either need to root and use the free wifi app or pay Verizon $20/mo (which is what I am doing right now btw).

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just got the Droid X, coming from a rooted Droid Eris. I didn't have issues rooting the Eris, but I am having a hard time figuring this out. I followed the steps listed, and it appears that I am rooted ("Superuser Permissions" now appears on my phone), but I can't seem to run root-only apps. Example: Attempted to open AdFree and it says "Unable to get root."

When I try checking if root is established, from my computer, it won't let me run adb shell... says "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command".

I feel like an airhead because I was able to do this pretty easily on the Eris. I am now on Windows 7 on a new computer. Before I was on XP, if that matters.

I have all the files for this "Simple Root" listed under "C:\DroidXRoot" to make it easy...

Can anyone please help?

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just got the Droid X, coming from a rooted Droid Eris. I didn't have issues rooting the Eris, but I am having a hard time figuring this out. I followed the steps listed, and it appears that I am rooted ("Superuser Permissions" now appears on my phone), but I can't seem to run root-only apps. Example: Attempted to open AdFree and it says "Unable to get root."

When I try checking if root is established, from my computer, it won't let me run adb shell... says "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command".

I feel like an airhead because I was able to do this pretty easily on the Eris. I am now on Windows 7 on a new computer. Before I was on XP, if that matters.

I have all the files for this "Simple Root" listed under "C:\DroidXRoot" to make it easy...

Can anyone please help?

you need to be in the sdk folder then tools at your command prompt. Then if you type adb shell it should work. Just make sure adb.exe is in that folder!

Or in the folder of the 1click root, there is a tools folder. Navigate there in your command prompt and try.

Upvote 0
you need to be in the sdk folder then tools at your command prompt. Then if you type adb shell it should work. Just make sure adb.exe is in that folder!

Or in the folder of the 1click root, there is a tools folder. Navigate there in your command prompt and try.

Grr :-( Yeah I went in there, and typed "adb shell" and it gave me "$"

Then I typed "su" and it says "Permission denied"

Edit: Nevermind, I copied all the files into the same folder instead of separate folders and that made it a lot easier haha. Thank you so much for the help. Much appreciated. I'm rooted now for real :) lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones