• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 1 issue with gingerbread 2.3

It's been a week since I took my Evo Shift to the Sprint store to get a factory reset and reinstall of Gingerbread. Performance is better but not perfect. Feeling like I still have a memory leak but maybe not as bad. And yesterday my Yahoo mail suddenly started syncing properly. Still get the white screen of death more often then before update.

Upvote 0
I had the same problems described by everyone else: the "HTC" screen, then the "Loading" for about 10 seconds.

But my phone works fine now. Go to "Settings" then "Power." Uncheck the "Fast Boot" box, then re-start your phone. Everything starts working normally again! At least it did for me. I now receive the benefits of the update without any slow-down or having to root my phone.

Upvote 0
Sorry guys, but disabling "Fast Boot" doesn't really resolve the issue. It almost delays it, if you want to call it that.

Prior to this upgrade I was able to have all my screens with widgets loaded (calendar, news, weather, etc) and was able to browse the internet with multiple browsers opened. And I was able to go back and forth without any issues.

NOW, if I have my widgets loaded and try to open multiple browsers I get the dreaded "HTC" screen with "LOADING" when I go home from the browsers.

I will admit that disabling the "Fast Boot" helped a little for the regular apps, but it has definitely not resolved the main issue.

(Mods, sorry for the double post)

I had the same problems described by everyone else: the "HTC" screen, then the "Loading" for about 10 seconds.

But my phone works fine now. Go to "Settings" then "Power." Uncheck the "Fast Boot" box, then re-start your phone. Everything starts working normally again! At least it did for me. I now receive the benefits of the update without any slow-down or having to root my phone.

Upvote 0
Sorry guys, but disabling "Fast Boot" doesn't really resolve the issue. It almost delays it, if you want to call it that.

Prior to this upgrade I was able to have all my screens with widgets loaded (calendar, news, weather, etc) and was able to browse the internet with multiple browsers opened. And I was able to go back and forth without any issues.

NOW, if I have my widgets loaded and try to open multiple browsers I get the dreaded "HTC" screen with "LOADING" when I go home from the browsers.

I will admit that disabling the "Fast Boot" helped a little for the regular apps, but it has definitely not resolved the main issue.

(Mods, sorry for the double post)

I agree - the Fast Boot disable doesn't fix this problem at all. Maybe makes the HTC loading screen come up a little less often, but far from the end all solution.

On a secondary note - has anyone else experienced a problem related to the HTC loading where backing out of the browser ends up closing all browser windows? It's become rather frustrating switching apps, and then coming back to the browser to find out that I've lost the webpages I've loaded up in separate windows... :mad:

Upvote 0
As many, I'm having the Loading issue. However, if I physically pull out the battery...I can typically get through the whole day until it returns. I can't figure out if something specific sets it off though.

Unchecking Fast Boot had no effect.

On the no email issue...I started having the same problem. My internal available memory on my HTC Shift got to about 40 MB and that's when my email stopped. I had to delete enough programs until my available memory got to 50-60 MB before it started working again.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
Here's my experience on the problem:

Things that help (reduced frequency of HTC Sense Reboots):
Removed Advanced Task Killer.

Deleted the Scene (it was also causing lockups) and created a new scene and rebuilt it from scratch

Pulled Battery (only helps for a day or so)

I have a class 6 SD card so the problem has nothing to do with the speed of the card!

Upvote 0
It's been a week since I took my Evo Shift to the Sprint store to get a factory reset and reinstall of Gingerbread. Performance is better but not perfect. Feeling like I still have a memory leak but maybe not as bad. And yesterday my Yahoo mail suddenly started syncing properly. Still get the white screen of death more often then before update.

my mail (also yahoo) started working flawlessly out of the blue too a few days ago.

I'm just wondering why I now have absolutely zero issues/glitches. it's been over 2 weeks since I've seen the loading screen. and I use my phone CONSTANTLY, literally. at home I'm always using it for texting and various apps and web, and I use it for work for gps and web and mail. while working it is awake the entire time for 4-8 hours constantly switching between apps, sites, gps, mail.

Upvote 0
*update*
I finally got my phone to give the htc and loading screen. installed angry birds and gave it a shot. 3 things happened:
1) I quickly became addicted to the game
2) when hitting home button from the game I get the htc screen and loading screen
3) when hitting the back button several times to get out, or using the quit function, no htc screen no loading screen.

but thus far in the last 2+ weeks this is the only way I can get the loading screen issue to occur. and it only lasts about 1-2 seconds

Upvote 0
After reading a few other threads talking about the same or similar issue I realized mine started at about the same time I sent a load of email to the SD card in order to free up room on the phone. I unmounted and remounted the card and it immediately went back to working properly. I later found the batch of email in my downloads and when I tried to open it "cannot open file corrupted" appeared. Needless to say I deleted it as I didn't need it there anyway. I'm not real techy but it worked for me and has been completely fine for the last few hours after not working fine for about a week. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones