• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 10+ won't turn on

Androgirl80

Lurker
Jun 13, 2022
Hi, I was using my S10 plus and all of a sudden it froze and had a small green line in the middle of the screen and it shut its self off. Now it won't turn on. I've tried doing the press the volume down button and power button at the same time. Nothing happens. I even tried to see if it needed to be charged. Any ideas on what could be wrong with it? Is it fixable? I have so many pics files etc that I never backed up. I do have the s21 ultra but loved this phone so much. I upgraded because the battery wouldn't stay charged. Thanks

Hi, I was using my S10 plus and all of a sudden it froze and had a small green line in the middle of the screen and it shut its self off. Now it won't turn on. I've tried doing the press the volume down button and power button at the same time. Nothing happens. I even tried to see if it needed to be charged. Any ideas on what could be wrong with it? Is it fixable? I have so many pics files etc that I never backed up. I do have the s21 ultra but loved this phone so much. I upgraded because the battery wouldn't stay charged. Thanks
should have been using google photo's. it auto backs up your photos. i never have to worry about them. i can even get a new phone and all i have to do is log into my google account and i have my photos on my new phone.

let this be a lesson that if you do not have auto backup to some cloud storage service , than you need to back up your photos on a regular basis.

not sure exactly what happened. your phone partitions could have been corrupted. did you drop the phone recently? could be that something got disconnected.

and the button combos can be tricky. not sure which version you have so.....
1.snapdragon:https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus-sd855/
2.https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus-exynos/

now these instructions are for a hard reset......which means that you will loose your photos as it will wipe all data.

your better option is to try to flash a firmware update. the best place to go for samsung firmware update is https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/. this might be better because there is a good chance that this will not erase data. i can't confirm this though so be forewarned.

just be sure that you type in the correct model number for your phone as firmware updates are VERY device specific.....so....make sure that you are flashing the correct firmware.

Upvote 0
I think there is a way of flashing a Samsung without erasing data, but I don't know the details. But you will need to be able to get it to boot into the appropriate state (download mode I believe) before you can flash it: if it won't power up at all there is nothing you can do apart from see whether someone can repair it (without erasing it or replacing the motherboard, since either of those will lose your data).

It's very hard to say what the cause here might be. If the reason you replaced this phone was the battery not holding charge then the battery failing is one possibility. Perhaps try leaving it on charge for a while and see whether it comes to life? Phones only run from the battery, and the charger connection only charges the battery, it doesn't power the phone, so if the battery isn't capable of charging you won't be able to boot it.

As an aside, if it's possible that the battery may be that bad keep an eye on it while charging. I replaced a Pixel 2 in December because the battery had become unreliable, but there was something on it I wanted to access today. I put it on charge last night and after a couple of minutes there was a "pop" and the display partially separated from the phone! What had happened was that the battery has swollen and pushed the display out (there had been no hint it was that bad before this happened). It's dangerous to try to charge a battery in that state (fire risk), which is why I say that if it's possible that the battery has failed completely then it's worth a go charging it for a few hours but don't leave it unattended, just in case.

Of course there can be other reasons why the phone won't power up. One other thing to check is whether it actually will boot up but the screen is dead: can you get it to make a sound, or can you see it connect to your WiFi network? That may be a long shot, but if that were the case there may be other things you can try.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones