• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 1st time Droid User needs help now!!

mdg92x

Lurker
Aug 25, 2010
Tucson
Ok I was playing around with my phone, getting to know it & checking out all the things on it...
I stumbled upon an app called Superuser Permissions or something like that...
I stupidly pressed all the choices on the screen thinking that more menus will pop up & nothing happened but now when I go to the app it is just a black screen.
What did I do?

A few minutes later i turned my phone off because I was gonna plug the charger in & when the phone powered on it said...

"SU REQUEST

Process # 1203 (app_10041:app_10041)
nk.bla.android.autostart

Wants to run:
/system/bin/sh
as
root:root

Allow or Deny
[] Remember"

What is going on?
it never said that before?

Do I press Allow or Deny????
I didn't do anything yet...
What is gonna happen?

Also there is an app in my app management called "Autostart (root)"...
is that important?
Can I delete it?
What will happen?

I have a Droid

The previous owner of your phone rooted the device.

Root is pretty much the same thing as jailbreak (on the iPhone). It gives you administrative/superuser (linux terminology) access to your phone (ie the ability to delete system apps/bloatware, ability to load custom kernels (overclock CPU, wireless tethering, bugfixes, etc), ability to load custom/different firmwares/roms, ability to use certain apps which require superuser access).

This app autostart basically runs scripts which you want to run at startup. It is safe to remove and since you don't really know what it is, I think you should just get rid of it.

You can check out the All Things Root: Droid forum and find out what other cool things you can do with your phone. Since you are rooted, you can try out custom ROMs such as Cyanogenmod 6 (have that on my phone, it is excellent).

Reactions: mdg92x
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones