• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2,000 variations?! Is this overkill? (Moto X)

:laugh: No need to try to convert me. I started with Slackware in 1994 and have Debian on my desktop right now. I just don't limit myself to linux, in part because some of the programs I want to use have no counterpart in linux and won't run in wine and in part because my career depends on me being an expert in Windows.

I don't go for the whiz-bang neato looking stuff, but the MS link I provided gives you the basic multiple desktops like KDE and Gnome (and, for that matter, most Android launchers) do, and although I disable it on my machines, newer versions of Windows give you fancy task switching (similar to "taskbar thumbnails" but larger). I don't remember if you can customize the desktops differently.

The thing about adding stuff on? Whether linux or WIndows, I always add plenty of stuff on to get what I want.

Upvote 0
:laugh: No need to try to convert me. I started with Slackware in 1994 and have Debian on my desktop right now.
:D Good to know! :D

I just don't limit myself to linux, in part because some of the programs I want to use have no counterpart in linux and won't run in wine
Would you mind naming some of those apps? I'm just curious. I only use Linux, so there's no falling back on anything else and--for me--I've never needed anything that I couldn't find.

and in part because my career depends on me being an expert in Windows.
I'm sorry. :( :p I used to have to administer a few window$ desktops and I hated it. :eek:

I don't go for the whiz-bang neato looking stuff, but the MS link I provided gives you the basic multiple desktops like KDE and Gnome
I actually took a look at that link, and I see that there's a WHOPPING limit of "up to four" desktops. :laugh:

although I disable it on my machines, newer versions of Windows give you fancy task switching (similar to "taskbar thumbnails" but larger). I don't remember if you can customize the desktops differently.
I disable certain desktop effects on certain [older] computers because they're just not up to the full whiz-banginess of it all. (I'm talking Linux, obviously.) Plus, frankly, after the newness wears off, I really don't WANT or NEED many of the effects. In fact, I find some downright annoying (like flames when you open something).

The thing about adding stuff on? Whether linux or WIndows, I always add plenty of stuff on to get what I want.
Oh, yeah...me too! :)

Upvote 0
Would you mind naming some of those apps? I'm just curious. I only use Linux, so there's no falling back on anything else and--for me--I've never needed anything that I couldn't find.

There are a number of OEM and aftermarket auto repair manuals that are published in the form of a program that runs on Windows. There are some that are web-based, available in standardized formats like PDF, or run in WINE, but some of my favorites are simply not replaceable. That's my other big hobby besides the stuff we discuss here.

One that is within the realm of possibility is download automation software. There are a few for linux or as cross-platform Java binaries but they have never worked well for me and never support most of the sites I use. For Windows there is one called MiPony which, if you can deal with the awful installer that tries every way to trick you into installing loads of adware, is extremely functional and blows all the competition right out of the water.

Those are the two big ones for me.

Upvote 0
There are a number of OEM and aftermarket auto repair manuals that are published in the form of a program that runs on Windows. There are some that are web-based, available in standardized formats like PDF, or run in WINE, but some of my favorites are simply not replaceable. That's my other big hobby besides the stuff we discuss here.

One that is within the realm of possibility is download automation software. There are a few for linux or as cross-platform Java binaries but they have never worked well for me and never support most of the sites I use. For Windows there is one called MiPony which, if you can deal with the awful installer that tries every way to trick you into installing loads of adware, is extremely functional and blows all the competition right out of the water.

Those are the two big ones for me.
Ah, I see! I can honestly say I've never even LOOKED for auto repair manuals or their associated software. :eek: (Shoot, I can't even keep my battery charged. :rolleyes:)

As for download automation software, have you thought about writing your own, using the built-in tools Linux provides? Or seeing if someone else has written such a script? I've never had any need for something like this, but in my head I'm doing a run-through of what would be involved and every bit of it should be included in any standard *nix installation. :idea:

Upvote 0
As for download automation software, have you thought about writing your own, using the built-in tools Linux provides? Or seeing if someone else has written such a script? I've never had any need for something like this, but in my head I'm doing a run-through of what would be involved and every bit of it should be included in any standard *nix installation. :idea:

I'm no programmer...I can work on the type of scripts that are daily sysadmin stuff, but the logic and resources required to handle redirects, parse the wait screens, pass captchas to the user, etc are not anything I'm equipped to handle.

Upvote 0
I'm no programmer...I can work on the type of scripts that are daily sysadmin stuff, but the logic and resources required to handle redirects, parse the wait screens, pass captchas to the user, etc are not anything I'm equipped to handle.
If I had ANY familiarity at all with this type of software, and the sites involved, I could probably figure out how to replicate its functions via bash script(s). But I don't. If you want, why not post in the Linux thread and see if anyone(s) might be interested in giving this a whirl?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones