• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 v3 forces Sense UI to close a lot

Slugdoc

Nov 15, 2009
The Bronx
It isn't easy to summarize the problem in the title.

So in 1.5 or 2.1 v1 or v2, it was very rare for the Sense UI Home app to have to re-launch.

By this I mean when you click the home or back button to return to your Home screen, instead of seeing the home screen you see the black screen with HTC on it, then you wait while it loads the Home application.

This very rarley happened before v1.3. Now it seems to happen at least once or twice a day.

I don't have more apps installed than I did before, I shouldn't be any more out of memery than I was before.

I can not identify aggravating or alleviating factors.

Thoughts?

It isn't easy to summarize the problem in the title.

So in 1.5 or 2.1 v1 or v2, it was very rare for the Sense UI Home app to have to re-launch.

By this I mean when you click the home or back button to return to your Home screen, instead of seeing the home screen you see the black screen with HTC on it, then you wait while it loads the Home application.

This very rarley happened before v1.3. Now it seems to happen at least once or twice a day.

I don't have more apps installed than I did before, I shouldn't be any more out of memery than I was before.

I can not identify aggravating or alleviating factors.

Thoughts?

I would just download a new home screen manager. I use helixlauncher which is awesome, and you can still use your ANDROID widgets and find some free/paid widgets in the market to replace the HTC ones. I like BeautifulWidgets to replace the homescreen clock/weather.

If you want to try out multiple home screen apps then download homescreen switcher from the market and from there you can download and install as many homescreen apps as you want, just open the switcher to launch the ones you want.

Upvote 0
stop using Sense and start using Helix Launcher.

don't want to give up the HTC Flip Clock widget? find Weather Widget version 3.2 apk somewhere online. Pure Grid Calendar replaces the calendar widget. Pure Music widget replaces the music one. I liked the Sense "favorites" widget, but Contacts! is just as good. All of these should be free, but google "app name" and apk for the ones that aren't on the marketplace.

phone runs a lot better since I switched to Helix. try just plain "home" too, if you want. Sense UI sucking so bad is the #1 reason I'm thinking of giving up my Eris for a Droid...

Upvote 0
Hmm. I never hated Sense UI before...

Well, these are all good suggestions for when I give up on Sense.
However, since it has always worked fine for me until the v3 update, I am still wondering if others are having the same problem, if it is fixable, before I give up on it.

Thanks for the tips, though.

Upvote 0
Well thats the nice thing about the homescreen switcher app, you can download helix and if at anypoint you want to switch back to sense, then just fire up that app and set sense as your default.

I am saying this because chances are that there will be no fix to your problem until the next "leak" or OTA. But if it is a problem and you can live with it then thats cool too!;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones