• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.3.5 Update failure - file verification

RossTiger

Jan 9, 2012
I have been trying to update my phone with the latest OTA update with little success.

Phone: HTC Desire S

Sense Version: 2.1

Build Number: 1.47.771.2

The update downloads fine, then when I restart my phone it starts to update then stops and display the phone with the red triangle. If I think go into recovery console this is what is displayed:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Copying fotaBoot to /data/system for customize reload...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/HtcContacts.odex", "589a50fee6da3e8c8ba84882f9141dcba9d6c9d1". "521ecda14ba2549f57cfd938cdde434c90a1bca8")
E: Error in /sdcard/download/OTA_Saga_S_H3G_UK_2.13.771.3-1.47.771.2_release_225655rd2vk7fdbq4gnlmt.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Since a previous update my stock contacts app just crashes before it even opens, so I've been using GO Contacts since then, however it looks like the fact that this file is broken is why it can't complete the update as it can't verify it.

A hard reset doesn't work, I've tried. Does anyone know if there is a way to re-install the stock contacts app? Or has any other suggestions?

Can you get into Recovery via the Hboot screen? If so, select 'Apply update from sdcard' and see if that works and/or try the 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition' options, too.

If you can't, then I think you're going to have to send it back to your provider to be reflashed. If you play around with trying to get S-OFF and rooted with the current fault, in order to fix the problem yourself, then you could brick your phone (further) and void the warranty.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones