• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

.246 ICS Leak for your information

That is absolutely true.

It is also absolutely true that no one in this forum can do anything about that.

On the other hand ... there are a number of people in this forum who can help you take control of your premium device and make it work your way.

IMNHO that is the primary difference between a Bionic/Razr user and an iPhonen user.

There is no single one-size-fits-all answer. The choice is yours.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I have no idea, but I would say JB instead of ICS is not going to happen, I'll even go out on a limb (like with every build) and say there is a good chance that this might be it as flash seems to be finally fixed but we all know not to hold our breath on that one.

But since Adobe's offical stance is to end Flash on mobile devices, why hold up a release just for it? I like Flash too, but Adobe won't ever be making a new Flash update and it won't support in JB.

Wouldn't it be ironic if they spent 4 months trying to get Flash to work with ICS and then release JB in 2 more months where we won't even get Flash at all.

Upvote 0
But since Adobe's offical stance is to end Flash on mobile devices, why hold up a release just for it?

That's the million dollar question, isn't it? Verizon let it slide on Razr and Droid 4 and I don't think they really give a hoot about a phone they no longer sell. I would say flash is just a excuse to keep rejecting it for what ever their real agenda may be, but that's just my personal opinion.

Upvote 0
That's the million dollar question, isn't it? Verizon let it slide on Razr and Droid 4 and I don't think they really give a hoot about a phone they no longer sell. I would say flash is just a excuse to keep rejecting it for what ever their real agenda may be, but that's just my personal opinion.

Makes one wonder now that Google owns Motorola that perhaps they are pulling an Apple and are having a fight over bloatware. Just speculation.

Upvote 0
Obviously Google has been trying to crack down on bloat for some time as ICS includes a built in ability to freeze some apps.
Hm, could it be that Verizon keeps rejecting these ICS releases because it freezes Verizon's apps?

I don't undertsand Verizon's position on the bloatware. If people like the apps, they will keep them. But by making them uninstallable and requiring them for OTA updates, all they do is turn people off their services. Seems like a no win situation for them. But then again, many of their decisions this past year make no sense.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
No, because ICS functions the same way on every device including the Razr and Droid 4.
Well, just really confusing. I mean if Flash was the reason, surely Flash didn't work for the Droid 4 or the Razr and was accepted. I mean can there be a difference in an OS between phones? And if so, how can there be that much of a difference between the Bionic and the Razr since they are identical except for the screens.

Upvote 0
What uses flash? I dont think i ever use flash for anything

Now that you asked, one time a couple of years ago when I still had my LG Ally my wife called me from Chattanooga Tennessee and said she was eating at a BBQ place called "Smoky Bones" and that it was really good. I tried going to their web site and it wouldn't load because it needed flash, that's the only time I actually remember trying to use flash on a phone. Of course Ally on Verizon didn't support it! :D

Upvote 0
Well, just really confusing. I mean if Flash was the reason, surely Flash didn't work for the Droid 4 or the Razr and was accepted. I mean can there be a difference in an OS between phones? And if so, how can there be that much of a difference between the Bionic and the Razr since they are identical except for the screens.

Yep, Bionic and Razr are close enough to each other,that's why it's the million dollar question. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm not buying the Flash excuse either. As others have said, if it's Adobe's full intention to not support it on mobile anymore, then why would Verizon be so hell bent on getting it to work on one last version of Android before all devices going to JB are pretty much not going to have it anyway. Seems crazy but I'm almost starting to believe the speculation I've read that the Bionic came onto the market right as the last round of people who could be grandfathered into unlimited data were updating and renewing contracts for another 2 years, and maybe they want these Bionic owners to get tired of waiting, come in and get a new device, and get bumped into the tiered data plans like everyone else. Because as mentioned above, Razr and other devices got their ICS updates, but I think those devices came out later on so that anyone upgrading to those wouldn't qualify to stay on unlimited data. I know it was certainly part of my thought process when I got this certified preowned Bionic earlier this year that I wanted to upgrade onto a 4G device and get the best deal I could and still keep my unlimited data.

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm not buying the Flash excuse either. As others have said, if it's Adobe's full intention to not support it on mobile anymore, then why would Verizon be so hell bent on getting it to work on one last version of Android before all devices going to JB are pretty much not going to have it anyway. Seems crazy but I'm almost starting to believe the speculation I've read that the Bionic came onto the market right as the last round of people who could be grandfathered into unlimited data were updating and renewing contracts for another 2 years, and maybe they want these Bionic owners to get tired of waiting, come in and get a new device, and get bumped into the tiered data plans like everyone else. Because as mentioned above, Razr and other devices got their ICS updates, but I think those devices came out later on so that anyone upgrading to those wouldn't qualify to stay on unlimited data. I know it was certainly part of my thought process when I got this certified preowned Bionic earlier this year that I wanted to upgrade onto a 4G device and get the best deal I could and still keep my unlimited data.

The only problem with that is the Razr ICS is buggy and they still haven't gotten their fix yet. Somehow it seems tied to the Bionic's ICS release.

I'm just getting tired of Verizon period.

Upvote 0
Just my guess but I think the delay has something to do with some phones staying at 1g and others going to 1.2g.

I don't believe so, those phones like mine (stuck on 1GHz) seem destined to remain there, and as Bionic was sold as a 1GHz phone I don't think anyone cares. I also haven't heard of anyone losing or gaining the extra 200MHz flashing to newer ICS builds. Either your going to have it or your not.

Upvote 0

I have a nexus 7 with Jelly Bean. I use Flash ALL THE TIME on it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones