• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

azirkin

Lurker
Jun 29, 2011
Hello,

I'm thinking of upgrade to an S2. I have a Verizon Droid2Global in the U.S. and it's just awful. Poor exchange sync, very clunky operation, awful battery life, and so on. I absolutely hate it.

I have a simple question to which I haven't been able to find an answer. What are the 4G capabilities of the S2? It's obviously being reviewed alongside a bunch of 4G phones so I gather it's capable of data speeds that are just as fast, but I'm not clear on what exactly it can do.

I do a lot of international traveling so I'd be buying an unlocked, unbranded version. Most immediately, I'm spending three months in southeast asia beginning next week. What data speeds will I be able to obtain there? Full 3G service, I hope?

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry for the newbie questions.

Adam

I know very little about this, but I'm pretty sure it's not technically a '4G' phone, just offers HSDPA which is 3.5G if you will.

As for whether it will work in the States or not, I believe we have a few Americans on this forum who have imported the phone from the UK/Europe and have had no problems. My understanding is the wavelength (?) is the same with the exception of T-Mobile, who seem to have their own wavelength altogether!

Again, I'm not that clued up on these things so feel free to correct me if/where I'm wrong fellow posters :)

Upvote 0
I got the SG2 about a month ago. Im using it on AT&T in Louisiana (USA) and its GREAT. We have HSDPA service here and its very fast. Call quality is on par with iPhone, and i have not yet had a dropped call. Battery life is good. I can get through 2 days if I just use the phone casually, but under heavy use, one day. One bonus i found while playing with the settings is that it has a built in mobile hotspot functionality...this will definitely be blocked on the US version. VERY happy with my purchase, popped in sim card and started rolling

Reactions: nb87 and azirkin
Upvote 0
I got the SG2 about a month ago. Im using it on AT&T in Louisiana (USA) and its GREAT. We have HSDPA service here and its very fast. Call quality is on par with iPhone, and i have not yet had a dropped call. Battery life is good. I can get through 2 days if I just use the phone casually, but under heavy use, one day. One bonus i found while playing with the settings is that it has a built in mobile hotspot functionality...this will definitely be blocked on the US version. VERY happy with my purchase, popped in sim card and started rolling

Which AT&T prepaid plan are u using with ur sgs2?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones