• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G/SD Card Update (4G rolls out 9/29/11)

My box to mail it arrived on Monday. Sent it out the same day, and got it back today.
It does appear to be the same unit I sent out. I factory reset it prior to the upgrade. At first I thought it was a new unit because it had that plastic cover on it that said what the buttons and indicators are. But when I peeled that off, my Zagg screen protector was still on under it.
Now to root it :)

Upvote 0
I guess I hit the upgrade bottleneck. I shipped mine to them last Monday the 3rd. Although FedEx delivered it on the 4th to them, they didn't claim to receive it until the 5th. Online status showed "RMA Processed" on the 6th, and has "This device has shipped or is in the process of being shipped back to you. If no tracking information is available, please check back at a later time to allow our system time to update..." at the top of the status still. Called yesterday and all they would say is that I should receive it by the 12th. We'll see if they really ship it back today.

I'm curious if everyone shipped theirs to Elgin, IL, or if they have multiple upgrade locations. If they do have multiple locations, it would be interesting to see if certain ones are slower than others.

Upvote 0
I guess I hit the upgrade bottleneck. I shipped mine to them last Monday the 3rd. Although FedEx delivered it on the 4th to them, they didn't claim to receive it until the 5th. Online status showed "RMA Processed" on the 6th, and has "This device has shipped or is in the process of being shipped back to you. If no tracking information is available, please check back at a later time to allow our system time to update..." at the top of the status still. Called yesterday and all they would say is that I should receive it by the 12th. We'll see if they really ship it back today.

I'm curious if everyone shipped theirs to Elgin, IL, or if they have multiple upgrade locations. If they do have multiple locations, it would be interesting to see if certain ones are slower than others.

Mine also went to Elgin. Shipped on the same day you did but got mine back on the 6th. Something must have gotten pretty screwed up that they are now almost a week behind. I couldn't believe my experience went so smoothly as I was expecting a mess. Now I see the mess I expected. I love my xoom but Motorola and vz really screwed the customers by over promising on delivering 4g "in the second quarter" and now botching the upgrade

Upvote 0
My upgrade was very fast. FedExed to Moto Friday got it back with 4g and 3.2.2 Tuesday morning.

Sent mine Friday and it came back today, plus it came with a standard dock (kinda cool) as a token of thanks for waiting for LTE. I noticed that the LTE/sim card cover now sits flush. Also the new market is installed on the Xoom (according to the sheet in the box). There was a system update when I finally got the Xoom booted (first boot out of the box was a long one!) After another long reboot I was greeted with. Android 3.2.2, build HLK75D, though I have no idea what build it was before (didn't look before pressing update). 4g is nice and fast! I will report on battery life a bit later.

Upvote 0
I finally got mine back today and I should be happy, but I came home from lunch to find my $800 XOOM sitting on the porch. FedEx dropped it off without requireing a signature. It was leaning up against the outside of my door for everyone walking by to see. I am lucky that it was still there. This is how loyal customers are treated. Horrible service, just plain horrible!

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to upgrade my phone, now that I know what 4G is like... I can't go back to 3G... I just can't!

My XOOM came in today dripping with 4G LTE goodness. I had sent it in last Friday. Since I intend to use the crap out of the 4G (up to 1 GB that is), I will not be able to truly test the battery life. I'll report back in a week or so once I've slowed down my use to more average use. I'm excited!

Oh! And the dock is pretty sweet.

Upvote 0
Got my Xoom back, but I cannot reinstall the online Market Store apps or maybe I'm not even supposed to, it keeps telling me that there is no device linked and I don't know how to fix this? Right now I no access to any apps. Any ideas?

Do a factory reset. You will have to enter your login credentials again but it should fix the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones