• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

7 inch tablets DOA - Steve Jobs

i stopped listening to steve jobs LONG ago

he was at one time a VERY intelligent respectable man on the cutting edge

then he became a middle of the road CEO surrounded by sharp folks

now he is a techno recluse who has determined the world needs it "my way or the hiway"

I love the fact that HE is condeming manufacturers for releasing products that the SW makers say they shouldnt.

Wasnt this the same guy who allowed sw to steer his corporate development of his own hw platform (anyone remember Lisa?)

my 2 cts

Upvote 0
Hand Job's statement will go down as well as Gate's statement in 1994 that the internet was a fad. He REALLY did say that, back when Netscape was the big app and had most of the install base on Windows 3.1. The only reason Gates pushed for a browser was that MS felt threatened that Netscape would evolve into a form of OS.

Upvote 0
i stopped listening to steve jobs LONG ago

"No one wants a phone with a 4+ inch screen."
"No one wants a seven inch tablet."

He is leaving half his sentence off. "until apple does it."

I expect a 7 inch ipad. I expect a 4.5 inch screen on an iphone. I expect him to stand up and say "We are the reason these sizes work. This is revolutionary!"

Upvote 0
i disagree that an 7" tablet is too small. i've had a 7" tablet for over two months and the form factor was perfect. i'll let you all guess what it was (i returned it). during that time, i had fun messing with it, the rooting, the ROMs, the learning process, hacking, but when it comes to actual usage, even with overclocking, memory management, and task management it was a chore. the browsing was still slow, the gaming was pathetic, the e-reading was okay, etc. but the 7" screen was perfect in the hand, in storage and transport, and page rendering.

but, i agree that the hype over the upcoming mainstream 7" tablets is way overblown and overpriced. what's coming are all just glorified and over-sized smartphones. same hardware and software with a bigger screen.

i have a feeling that these 7" tablets will cause negative backlash in the user community as they will soon figured out that these machines are under powered and limited from the hyped advertisements.

Reactions: Captain Brick
Upvote 0
I'm holding out for a 7 inch tablet myself. The Archos 5IT that I currently have is a little too small and a 10 inch tablet is way too big. Plus why would I want a tablet that doesn't play flash media?

In the next few weeks the Cruz tablet, the Archos 70, the eLocity A7 and the Galaxy tab are all coming out so I'll have a nice 7 inch tablet without having to file down my fingers.

Upvote 0
As I have a 7" tablet, albeit a cheap Chinese one, I have to disagree with Mr Jobs. My tablet fits into most of my coat pockets, unlike a friend's iPad, and does all I ask of it well enough to have sold me on the form-factor & size.

I expect, like the other posters, that Jobs will magically love them too once Apple makes one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones