• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

720p Video experiments... let's see yours

Reactions: adrynalyne
Upvote 0
Yes, I could easily import the video files into Final Cut but I want to eliminate every chance for people to say that it only looks good because I used Final Cut.
I don't know of any in-phone Android editing app. Good luck on your search.

Plus, a great looking video done completely on a phone speaks volumes about its capabilities.

Sounds like iMovie.. LOL

Upvote 0
These are the typical analytical results I get from the DINC 720p footage.

720p_analysis.png

Upvote 0
Why does everyone think Froyo will magically fix all the problems/issues? The camera is a vendor specific implementation. Each company uses different sensors and codecs. Our HTC phone's cam is capable of great things. It is up to HTC to pony up the licenses and pay the right company to write the software for their cameras.

I believe that we participated in a thread together not too long back where we were able to provide proof that the software and "driver" for the camera/lens of the phone was actually wrong and causing some of the camera issues. May not have been you, but ya know... whatever. =P

Point being, there is a thread like that around here. Many people participated and at the end we all accepted the fact that something needed to be done. The Incredible does a decent job, but isn't amazing or spectacular. Then again... none of them are. I think that the Galaxy S is a superior phone, but that is because it has and does several things that I wish that my Incredible did. That being said, I wouldn't trade my Incredible for any other phone. I love it. It may not be the best at everything, but considering that it does so much... I can't expected that of it.

The camera is fine. The movies look alright. There are issues that require attention, but won't ever be fixed. FroYo will be awesome, but short lived.

Upvote 0
I think this is because they are using the leaked OTA. I was wondering the same thing. From my understanding it is a little risky for a novice like myself.

Is there a safe way to do it? I am planning on rooting this week.

If you plan on rooting, you cant get the leaked OTA (OTF ;)) Plus, rooting is FAR more risky than putting the leaked OTA on your phone.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This video is a 720p test video from my Incredible running the leaked OTA, only thing thats been added is text and audio using Power Director from Cyberlink.

YouTube - 720p HTC Incredible.mpg

This video is a WVGA test video from my HTC Incredible before the OTA was applied.

YouTube - HTC Incredible Video Test at Shilshole Bay Marina

I'm quite happy with the 720p tbh, its not perfect but its always not a video camera o_O, but its defo better then the WVGA no?

Upvote 0
Here are some of my samples:

The 720p vid is huge compared to the other two! lol
720p does record at about 1mb per sec but the quality is well worth it. Just dont see recording a mini movie with it unless you had a 32gb card or bigger... lol
For short vids it is super though...

I stood 4ft from my hdtv and recorded 3 vids/30sec each of mythbusters show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CCF5PufOlw

Just a heads up, your Vizio's Display Mode is set to wide or zoom and you're losing part of the picture and reducing your picture quality. Best bet is to leave it set to normal or whatever it's called when it doesn't change the incoming picture. I know people hate bars, but I hate not getting the best picture I can out of my displays.

Upvote 0
I couldn't find a thread like this one so I figured we might as well have one since many of us already have the ability to record 720p through root and Roms, and everyone else will have the ability (allegedly) through OTA. Here is my first 720p video. Be sure to click the up arrow on the video after you hit play to switch it to 720p playback otherwise it is default at 320p.

YouTube - Ninjas In Dairy Queen

Upvote 0
Yeah I've grown quite happy with the 720p recording. I did not like it at first because it was was a low FPS but I had tried it in low light. With good lighting it actually is very nice. Took a video this weekend of our kids with friends riding bikes and it came out very nice.

Anyone know of a player that will tell you the FPS of the video you recorded?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones