• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 8GB internal - EMMC or not?

Medion

Android Expert
Aug 14, 2010
Auburn, WA
I never liked HTC's implementation of internal storage on the Incredible. While it's mountable via USB, something many appreciate, it's not usable for app storage. I would have preferred that it be un-mountable via USB, and have a near full 8GB internal storage to do whatever we needed. Certainly would have prevented a lot of storage errors for some.

I don't know if this can be answered at this time, but I eventually want to know if the Thunderbolt still uses the EMMC approach, or if it's different. Also, while not directly related to this phone, what other 8GB internal HTC phones exist, and which method do they use?

My reasoning for wanting to know this is to gauge future Incredible support. OEMs have a habit of dropping support on phones that don't fit with the bigger picture. EMMC isn't supported by most apps outside of Sense. If the Incredible were to be the only phone to use EMMC, it would mean a quicker cessation of support.

I never liked HTC's implementation of internal storage on the Incredible. While it's mountable via USB, something many appreciate, it's not usable for app storage. I would have preferred that it be un-mountable via USB, and have a near full 8GB internal storage to do whatever we needed. Certainly would have prevented a lot of storage errors for some.

I don't know if this can be answered at this time, but I eventually want to know if the Thunderbolt still uses the EMMC approach, or if it's different. Also, while not directly related to this phone, what other 8GB internal HTC phones exist, and which method do they use?

My reasoning for wanting to know this is to gauge future Incredible support. OEMs have a habit of dropping support on phones that don't fit with the bigger picture. EMMC isn't supported by most apps outside of Sense. If the Incredible were to be the only phone to use EMMC, it would mean a quicker cessation of support.

I use the Internal storage EMMC on my Incredible mostly for music and videos/wallpapers. and there is a way you can change the storage to act like its an SD card in some custom ROM's.

I don't see the internal storage really a problem, i think it was implemented for music/video storage (camcorder recordings).

ThunderBolt will come with a 32GB Class 6 microSD card anyway so i again don't see any problem with storage on any front, 8GB internal and 32GB microSD.

This will also be the first Sense 2.0 device that has internal storage so HTC might bake in the option to use the EMMC since sense was upgraded unlike for the Droid Incredible.

I guess we'll see in February

Upvote 0
Where did you read about the 32gb microsd being a class 6?

Thanks,
Bryan

all microSD cards that are "pre-installed" for Verizon are ALL class 6
Droid X's 16GB card was a class 6, so was the microSD that came with the Droid 1

Verizon only carries Class 6 cards which is why they don't bother to post the class speed and, class 6 is also the recommended version for mobile phones, which is also why SandDisk marketed all there microSD cards as "mobile ready" that had class 6 storage

Upvote 0
Droid X's 16GB card was a class 6, so was the microSD that came with the Droid 1

Verizon only carries Class 6 cards which is why they don't bother to post the class speed and, class 6 is also the recommended version for mobile phones, which is also why SandDisk marketed all there microSD cards as "mobile ready" that had class 6 storage

I don't know where you get that Class 6 is recommended for mobile. The internal read/write capabilities of most modern phones is slower than what Class 2 can take advantage of. Anything over Class 2 you'll need to remove from the phone and insert into a card reader just to get a gain in read/write performance.

Just checked the Sandisk site and couldn't find any class 6 32gb cards there. They were all class 2.

SanDisk doesn't sell Class 6 cards. They only sell class 2 for MicroSDHC and class 4 for SDXC. They sell an "Extreme" branded SDHC that they claim has bursts up to 45mbps, but they don't list a sustained class. Regardless, that's full size, not micro.

Upvote 0

just so you know, your information is wrong. first, BOTH Droid X's I have received from verizon have class 2 cards in them (One on launch day and one in november). same goes with my crackberry I used to have (girlfriend uses it now)
so...... not trying to call you out or anything, but you might want to check your sources, because statements like these are how ridiculous rumors get started

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0

I dont think this is right . My Incredible came with a Class2 card 2gb card , my Fascinate came with a class2 16gb card and I bought a 32gb card from Verizon and it was also class2... I own a class6 8gb and outside of transfering date to and from the sd card I don't notice any diffrence in speed

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones