• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A-GPS vs. Google Location Services?

Mastiff37

Mar 6, 2011
Can someone (without guessing) explain the distinction? I thought that A-GPS was side information given to the GPS to help it acquire more quickly, so cell tower info and/or wifi locations. I was having trouble with my Droid X GPS acquiring at all and someone on another forum said there is some issue with Google location services messing up the GPS, so I disabled it. I expected that I wouldn't be able to update A-GPS data because of that, but I still could (in the GPS status app). So, is A-GPS something else? More importantly, can I fly across country and have my GPS still acquire in seconds without GLS enabled? Thanks.

FYI, the Droid X subforum is here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/. This is the (original) Droid subforum.

I thought that A-GPS was side information given to the GPS to help it acquire more quickly, so cell tower info and/or wifi locations.
The first half of that sentence is correct. However, aGPS data has nothing to do with cell towers or wifi locations. aGPS data is only used to obtain a GPS (satellite) fix. Rule of thumb: if it's not using the GPS satellites it's not any form of GPS.

Google Location services are an entirely separate method of determining your location.

If your device is having problems getting a GPS fix then use GPS Status to clear your aGPS data and try again.

More importantly, can I fly across country and have my GPS still acquire in seconds without GLS enabled?
Again, apples and oranges. Don't get confused by the masses that use "GPS" to mean any method of determining your location.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones