• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A home screen replacement based on simplicity

Bryter layter

Lurker
Jul 13, 2010
Simple Home (Seach for "Simple Home" on Android market)

The Android home replacement that focuses on simplicity! I have developed a home screen replacement which I consider to be 1. Light/lightweight 2. Simple and 3. Fast. It is nothing fancy at all, but it focuses on quickly finding your apps, which is the key feature of the launcher. I used to be a developer on a big home replacement project and there I came to the conclusion that a lot of the stuff in the regular launcher (and in other replacements) is really not necessary.

Examples:
- Live wallpaper, a very nice feature which gives the user some eye candy behind the launcher. However, in the long run, this feature usually drains your battery, currently one of bigger problems with Android phones, and does really not add anything that an app is not capable of doing.
- Widgets, nice little mini-apps that you can place on your desktop. These does as well not add any functionality that an app won't give you. I kind of liked the toggle widgets at first, but once I found the in-app toggle apps I now consider these to be superfluous as well.
- Folders, well this I think depends on what kind of a person you are. I can of course understand the joy of organizing your stuff in neat folders and so on but I am generally more the "auto-arrange" kind a guy. I like it when things are automatically nice a tidy and when an system gives you that option I don't see any reason not to use it. I used to have an Iphone, where it was nice in the beginning to re-arrange apps and create new pages/sections. But after a while, when installing more and more apps, it just became tedious to do the re-arrangements. I couldn't get a clear overview and I had to move a lot of apps to get somewhere near a setup that worked ok. Auto-arrange ftw.

Simple Home has 3 major features and another thing is that you will always see the launchable application list (where all the apps are..apparently).

Features:
- Filter, which give you the possibility to quickly filter the list and narrow down the number of apps displayed in the app list
- Visualization, where you can decide how many columns there should be in the app list grid, or even display the app list as a vertical list.
- Auto-arrange, apps will, one they are launched, automatically be arranged according to frecency (How frequently and how recently an app is/was launched). There is furthermore also the option to change the sorting to alphabetic, just frequency or just recency sorting.

It works on my G1 with Android version 1.5 and it works on my Nexus One v2.2. It should support all screen resolutions (tested on emulator) and it should be fast (all DB handling is asynchronous). Somebody complained that it was slow on some device, but it is ok on my G1 which makes me think that it might not be the home screen that was slowing down his/hers device. Using many columns on a slow device might be heavy, but as far as I've seen the FPS have always been decent.

Let me know what you think, if you like it/dislike it and if you agree/disagree!

Version 1.1 is out! It contains the following highlights:

- Optimized background task handling
- Always go back to Home when pressing Home key
- Indicate which apps that are currently running
- Added option to sort on currently running apps
- Added option to close running apps on long press
- Added option to uninstall apps on long press
- Added clear and toggle button (toggle between contains string/starts with string) in filter mode
- 7 columns option. Squeeze in more apps in the list.

One added feature is the displaying which apps that are currently running (Note: actively started!) together with the possibility to sort out these running apps. This will sort of make your app list work as a process manager at the same time as a regular launcher. I am a bit eager to see how this will work out, since the stopping running apps is a bit ambiguous in Android. There are reasons no to stop apps, but I am the kind the person that likes to keep track of which of my apps that are running and close them when I don't need them.

If you're one of the people using this app, are you also a person who likes to keep track of which apps that are currently running?

Upvote 0
Hi,
Application is not on the Market. It's been removed I think a year ago, but I still have the .apk for it.
It's really brillian one, I could not find any other application like this.
But I experience an annoying bug with it - some times when I press back button on the home screen - it leads me to blank black activity (sometimes it's other application).
It happens after I launch some applications and navigate between them with back button.
Is there any chance to have the application updated?
Thanks in any case!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones